none
Restricted Editing inside Rich Text content control in Word allows only a single character to be edited since KB2863926 RRS feed

• Question

• we have a rich text content control that allows only a single character to be entered, prior to the KB listed above, the content control could handle more content.  

Office 2010 Service Pack 1

This is very easy to reproduce.  Create a new document, add a rich text content control, restrict editing, allow "No Changes (Read Only)" except within the control control allow "Everyone" to edit.  Start Enforcing Protecting.  Only a single character will be allowed.

If the KB listed in the title is removed then the editing works properly.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi all

Since this thread began I've run into others experiencing the same issue. It appears to be related to the update (KB article quoated by Gordon). At the moment, there is no known workaround other than removing the update.

Given the fact that the problem is NOT related to VSTO I'm going to move this message to the more appropriate Word for Developers forum - just FYI.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:23 PM

All replies

• >>This is very easy to reproduce.  Create a new document, add a rich text content control, restrict editing, allow "No Changes (Read Only)" except within the control control allow "Everyone" to edit.  Start Enforcing Protecting.  Only a single character will be allowed.<<

Sorry to say, it's hard for me to reproduce. Could you discribe more clearly?

BTY, what do you mean If the KB listed in the title is removed then the editing works properly?

MS14-017: Description of the security update for Word 2010 Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2: April 8, 2014

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hello Gordon,

Try installing Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010. Does it help?

Friday, April 18, 2014 11:49 AM
  • By trying to better describe the problem, I ended up uninstalling a VSTO.  It appears the the problem only occurs when both the VSTO and KB2863926 are installed.  Uninstalling either one of them makes the problem go away.  I am going to look into the VSTO to see if I can identify a problem there.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 1:55 PM
  • I tried SP2, but the problem remains
    Friday, April 18, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Hi all

Since this thread began I've run into others experiencing the same issue. It appears to be related to the update (KB article quoated by Gordon). At the moment, there is no known workaround other than removing the update.

Given the fact that the problem is NOT related to VSTO I'm going to move this message to the more appropriate Word for Developers forum - just FYI.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Cindy,  thanks for the information.  We are currently running through our VSTO to try to identify some behavior change than might be causing this behavior.  It is a pretty big code base.  But you wrote that others are experiencing this issue without a VSTO.  This leads me to think that it is not our VSTO that is causing the issue?  

Our machines are running against a SUS server that installs this patch every monday,  every monday we manually uninstall the patch on 14 machines.  Our operations folks are being awesome, but making this happen for the foreseeable future doesn't seem to be an option.  aside from the 14 machines, there are many thousands in the organization that should get the patch, so removing it from SUS doesn't seem like a good idea.  

Friday, April 25, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Hi Gordon

I don't know what SUS is (something Update Server?), but I get the general drift of what you're saying.

At the moment, there's nothing else you can do that I know of. And, of course this patch might be rolled up in subsequent updates, so it would be more a matter of not allowing any Word updates until the problem is rectified.

If you're that big (thousands of licenses) it might be that your contract with Microsoft would give you enough clout to force them to make a hot-fix for you, that's about the only thing I can think of that would be "fast"...

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:33 PM