none
WinCE6: Customize platform wait cursor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to remove the default GWES wait cursor from my platform.

I have found that the cursor is defined by the library CURSOR8 which is defined in %WINCEROOT%/PUBLIC/COMMON/OAK/DRIVERS/SKINNABLEUI/GWE/CURSOR/8BIT.

I have create a new version of the library in my Platform, I would like to know how I can rebuild GWES.dll with my version of cursor8b.lib without having to overwrite the default version.

Some suggestions ?

Best regards

Fabrice

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:27 PM

Answers

• You can clone the cursor8b library (see for example http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa459163.aspx) and follow the instructions in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee500211.aspx using the GWES_REPLACE variable in your BSP batch file to link your custom library

--
    Luca Calligaris
    lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom
    www.eurotech.com

"KroMignon" <=?utf-8?B?S3JvTWlnbm9u?=> ha scritto nel messaggio news:ae5e9d43-a005-453d-b058-3d032a976cec...

Hi all,

I have found that the cursor is defined by the library CURSOR8 which is defined in %WINCEROOT%/PUBLIC/COMMON/OAK/DRIVERS/SKINNABLEUI/GWE/CURSOR/8BIT.

I have create a new version of the library in my Platform, I would like to know how I can rebuild GWES.dll with my version of cursor8b.lib without having to overwrite the default version.

Some suggestions ?

Best regards

Fabrice

Luca Calligaris (MVP-Windows Embedded) lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Koster Monday, January 10, 2011 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by KroMignon Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:29 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 12:39 PM

All replies

• You can clone the cursor8b library (see for example http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa459163.aspx) and follow the instructions in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee500211.aspx using the GWES_REPLACE variable in your BSP batch file to link your custom library

--
    Luca Calligaris
    lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom
    www.eurotech.com

"KroMignon" <=?utf-8?B?S3JvTWlnbm9u?=> ha scritto nel messaggio news:ae5e9d43-a005-453d-b058-3d032a976cec...

Hi all,

Some suggestions ?

Best regards

Fabrice

Luca Calligaris (MVP-Windows Embedded) lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Koster Monday, January 10, 2011 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by KroMignon Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:29 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Thank you Luca for this link, but I still don't know how to customize the Wait Cursor.

Here are the steps I have done:

• Create a custom version of cursor8b.lib in my platform
    •  Modify the platform batch file to add:

set __SYSGEN_REPLACESKIN=1
    set GWES_REPLACE=cursor8

• recompiling BSP

But I still have the standard Wait Cursor (Sand glass) and not my custom version.

What do I wrong ?

Regards

Fabrice

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:30 AM
  • You have to perform a SYSGEN of GWES: call 'sysgen -p common gwes' from command line and check build.log to see if it's linking the correct lib

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:38 AM
  • TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY
    RELEASETYPE=CUSTOM
    #RELEASETYPE=PLATFORM
    WINCEOEM=1

SOURCES=\
        cursor8.rc \
    #    nothing.c \

Targetpath=$(REPLACE_ROOT)\oak\lib\$(_CPUINDPATH)

#WINCETARGETFILES=$(REPLACE_ROOT)\oak\lib\$(_CPUINDPATH)\cursor8.res

Me again...

I think there is something I'm missing, but I don't have any what it could be :'(

Once again what I have done:

1. Copy %WINCEROOT%/PUBLIC/COMMON/OAK/DRIVERS/SKINNABLEUI/GWE/CURSOR/8BIT into %WINCEROOT%/PLATFORM/<MYPLATFORM>/SRC/DRIVERS/GWES/CURSOR

2. Modify MYPLATFORM.bat to add "set BSP_REPLACESKIN=1"

3. Modify souces.cmn to add

REPLACE_ROOT=$(_TARGETPLATROOT)
    !IF "$(BSP_REPLACESKIN)" != ""
     __SYSGEN_REPLACESKIN=1
     GWES_REPLACE=cursor8
    !ENDIF

4. in SRC/DRIVERS/GWES/CUSOR

4.1 Modify sources to

TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY
    RELEASETYPE=CUSTOM
    #RELEASETYPE=PLATFORM
    WINCEOEM=1

SOURCES=\
      cursor8.rc \
    #  nothing.c \

Targetpath=$(REPLACE_ROOT)\oak\lib\$(_CPUINDPATH)

#WINCETARGETFILES=$(REPLACE_ROOT)\oak\lib\$(_CPUINDPATH)\cursor8.res

4.2 Change the bmp files with my own

5. rebuilding platform

But this doesn't work

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:04 AM
  • I remember I had some problems injecting my custom STARTUI in GWES once. Have you checked the build.log file?

Take a look to %_WINCEROOT%\PUBLIC\COMMON\CESYSGEN\makefile and

%_WINCEROOT%\PUBLIC\CEBASE\OAK\MISC\winceos.bat

to see how the 'REPLACE' environment variables are used by the build system

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Thanks Luca for your help!

It was very hard to change the default hour glass.

I don't know why, but it was impossible to do it using REPLACE_ROOT in combination with GWES_REPLACE or GWES_REPLACE_COMPONENTS .

To finally change the cursor, I used a postlink batch file to call "sysgen -p common gwes" and before calling sysgen, I copy my cursor8.res into %_WINCEROOT%\public\common\oak\lib\Armv4i\retail\xxx (xxx represent language codes) and restore previous version after sysgen.

It is not the "clean way" but it works!

Regards

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:29 AM
  • It was very hard to change the default hour glass.

I don't know why, but it was impossible to do it using REPLACE_ROOT in combination with GWES_REPLACE or GWES_REPLACE_COMPONENTS .

I was attempting to remove the cursor myself when i came across this post. Was the reason you couldn't use REPLACE_ROOT with GWES_REPLACE because of the following error:

gwe4.lib(msgbox_hpc.res) : fatal error LNK1241: resource file cursor8.lib(cursor8.res) already specified

I'm about to try it the way you describe, but I don't understand why I can't link it in correctly as my cursor8.lib builds correctly into the REPLACE_ROOT directory, the only thing I did different from your post was to capitalize TARGETPATH as otherwise the lib was placed in c:\ instead of the required oak\xxx\ directory. I actually thought I almost had it running as it was complaining it couldn't find my cursor8.res file in $(REPLACE_ROOT)\oak\lib\$(_CPUINDPATH)\0409\ when I was performing a sysgen -p common gwes, so I fixed that up with a postlink.bat, but now my sysgen doesn't even get that far, which is when I found this post...

Cheers,

Barak.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Hi Luca,
    Can we get any script or  proper spet by step implementation ?
    cheers
    Akash
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:59 PM