.net binary web services. RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering if anyone is using .net binary web services. I know there are few experts in this forum, just wondering if you could share some input about the scenarios when it is appropriate to use them and any example articles which show how to use them, the advantages and disadvantages of using them.
    Thanks.
    Monday, July 10, 2006 12:39 AM

All replies

• not using it,

but I think there are only two things that you must take in consideration: the advantage is performance and the diadvantage is that you don't know if the receiver has the same binairy protocol

Monday, July 10, 2006 6:15 AM
  • Since web services = SOAP (plus a bunch of other standards in various ratification phases), which is XML based, what do you mean by binary web services?
    Monday, July 10, 2006 8:40 PM
  • Friday, July 14, 2006 12:47 PM
  • If you choose performance over interoperability, then why use web services in the first place? Simply the fact that you mentioned .net directs me to the understanding that you have .net on both sides of the wire. So, do you really need interoperability?
    Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:17 AM
  • I agree with Udi that if you don't need interoperability there is less motivation to use Web services. Though - One reason to go with Web services anyway is the built-in separation of contract and policy.

Arnon

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:56 AM