An Online Remote Desktop Application (Design Questions) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Please move this if it is in the wrong location.

I need a little advice on where to start. I've been given a task with the following requirements:

• Ability to connect to remote computer via a secure website
    • Have security for the logged in user to have limited abilities on the remote computer. IE (a user deemed a viewer couldn't edit values on the remote machine, only be allowed to view the app).
    So I did a little digging and found that there is a Remote Desktop Web Connection in which you can connect to a remote computer from a web site, however I don't think you can edit the activeX control.

I also took a look at the RDC Protocols, but before I really started to dig into them, wanted to see what advice there was out there.

Thanks again for any advice you may have.

Cheers,

Chad.
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

• If the purpose is to run some sort of reports then just publish them via a secured web app.

You don't need to worry about people hacking into your network or when someone turns the "reporting" computer off, or when the second person tries to log onto the same machine.

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

The remote computer is running an application that needs to be accessed remotely from a web app. It's not for reporting.

However the end goal would be to have a layer of security in which our web app would handle some minor access authentication (ie: A user deemed a viewer could not interact with the remote application but simply view it and a user deemed an editor could edit information, etc.. on the remote application)

Thank you again for the help.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:21 AM
  • A VPN package is the sort of thing to look at buying.  That will at least give you some security.  Once the user is "in" and onto the desktop they have as much functionality as if they were sat at it.  That means access to network, drives etc.  So VPN are only suitable for trusted employees.

If you don't want the people remoting in to be able to reformat the hard disk on the computer or put viruses on your network servers then you might wando better refactoring the application into a WCF service and connecting to it from desktop and web.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:35 AM
  • You can depend on VNC viewr rather than Remot desktop.

http://www.realvnc.com/support/javavncviewer.html

I have already consumed its older version and developed a windows application. Now this supports web mode also.. heard mobile version too.. -).

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:55 PM