Creating a "Window" to a Metro-style App from the Desktop

General discussion

• It's amazingly useful in many situations to have several applications simultaneously viewable.  For this reason, I fully expect to spend much of my time on the desktop while using my desktop with it's enormous screen space.  However, I think that Metro-style Apps are fantastic for tablets and will thus almost certainly collect many of them that I'll love and want to use on my desktop.  Is there a way that I can use these apps without needing to dedicate (and waste) the full screen space to it?

A decent desktop computer with a large monitor will essentially be four tablets tiled together with more than enough CPU cores to keep many apps in the foreground and no battery issues.  Make it happen and it will be awesome.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:51 PM

All replies

• I plan on running metro apps in a VM.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:12 PM
  • It's actually a VERY good idea, Matt.

Microsoft seems to be going farther than that, however.  They seem to want us to LIVE in Metro, while the desktop is phased out.  I can see no other path.

Trouble is, like you I actually DO use many, many windows.  I have documents I'm working on, mail, development tools, graphics apps, reference material, and on and on - all on the screen at the same time.  I NEED to be able to see all that stuff, organized as I need it, just by looking around.

I'm not sure who wants just one app at a time on screen, but it isn't people who do complex work.

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:18 PM