none
Your app doesn't meet requirement 6.2. & Your app doesn't meet requirement 1.2. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

today i received a rejection of release 9 of my app (sunage).

The failed content-compliancy report:

This test evaluates your software for content compliance with Windows Store Certification Requirements. Learn more
    Your app doesn't meet requirement 1.2. Learn more

Questions to consider:

- Does your app require a user account? If so, you need to include a test account in the Notes to Testers field.
    - Can users make purchases through the app? If so, you need to provide a way to test those purchases.

Commons reasons why apps fail this requirement:

- The app includes non-functional sections or contains placeholders (labeled "coming soon", "more to come", "not available yet" and so on) for primary user scenarios.
    - The app doesn't work on all the architectures that it claims to support. For example, if you state that your app works on any CPU, it must work on all architectures, including ARM.
    - The app description is misleading or vague.
    - The app description uses screenshots or statements that imply features that don't appear to be implemented.
    - The app doesn't respond to "play" and "pause" keyboard events to allow users to control audio playback.
    - The app description doesn't explicitly state any hardware or network requirements.
    - Your app doesn't meet requirement 6.2. Learn more

Commons reasons why apps fail this requirement:

- The content of the app (including ads) is not suitable for the chosen age rating.
    - You claimed a rating from a Ratings Board in a game definition file but you did not provide a proof of that rating.
    - You listed the app as either 3+ or 7+ and it provides the user with uncontrolled access to online social networks or uncontrolled sharing of personal info with third parties, including other gamers or online acquaintances. For such activity to be considered "controlled", your app must include parental control features that require parental permission to use such sharing features, and you must identify those and explain their functionality in the Notes to testers.
    - One of the distribution markets you chose requires a rating from a Rating board but you did not provide one.

Notes from Testers:

M:: Your app must be complete when submitted to the Windows Store. Your description stated it was not. D:: Your submission includes markets which require a rating from an recognized ratings board. Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh694080.aspx for more information on the ratings boards for the Windows Store.

So here my question concerning 1.2:

The game is sold episodic via in-app purchases. One episode is already on sale. 2 more episodes are to come within the next weeks. So the game states "coming soon" over the buttons. This has been like that for 8 releases - why is it a reason for rejection suddenly ?
    And more importantly what should i do about it ? Simply not show the future episodes or just not state "coming soon" ? 

And here my question concerning 6.2.: 

As with all the other releases (8 so far) i provided the very same gdf.dll in the game - containing 4 ratings (PEGI,PEGI-pt,ESRB,USK).
    Again: All of a sudden there seems to be a problem and i have no clue what it is.

Please help... I'm really confused.

Roman

Roman Pfneudl CEO - vertex4 entertainment ltd.

• Edited by v4corg Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:11 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:02 PM

Answers

• add some notes to the reviewers explaining the EPISODIC nature of you game, be sure to explicitly state in your note to the reviewer that the GAME IS COMPLETE!

If you have to say coming soon in your app, make sure you take some time with it. Put an image showing the future episode as a teaser or something. DO NOT PUT A GREY BOX that says COMING SOON. That is a red flag for the reviewers. if they see a grey box, its almost a knee jerk reaction!

Not sure about the game review files as that isn't my cup of tea. But good luck!

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Also, if your app includes In-App purchases, make sure you include a test Microsoft Account.

Yes. Microsoft wants you to hold their hand and provide their testers with an Account to a service they own. Seriously.

This burned my app submission for a while and it was only after extensive searching that I found this advice buried somewhere in one of these forum topics. Not exactly ideal.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Hi,

Just create a dummy Microsoft account. Doesn't need to have real information or any payment details.

Regards,

Nelson

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:46 PM

All replies

• add some notes to the reviewers explaining the EPISODIC nature of you game, be sure to explicitly state in your note to the reviewer that the GAME IS COMPLETE!

If you have to say coming soon in your app, make sure you take some time with it. Put an image showing the future episode as a teaser or something. DO NOT PUT A GREY BOX that says COMING SOON. That is a red flag for the reviewers. if they see a grey box, its almost a knee jerk reaction!

Not sure about the game review files as that isn't my cup of tea. But good luck!

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Also, if your app includes In-App purchases, make sure you include a test Microsoft Account.

Yes. Microsoft wants you to hold their hand and provide their testers with an Account to a service they own. Seriously.

This burned my app submission for a while and it was only after extensive searching that I found this advice buried somewhere in one of these forum topics. Not exactly ideal.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Just resubmit and a different tester will probably pass it. I would recommend putting in notes to the testers I am pretty sure they read them.

http://www.refractored.com

Friday, January 25, 2013 3:52 AM
  • Hey Nelson,

where to get such a test Microsoft Account ?

I hope i dont have to put up a real account with real payment details just to buy 1 item so they can test it. I read some other place that this really only applies to external account systems (which makes sense).

Regs,
    Roman

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just create a dummy Microsoft account. Doesn't need to have real information or any payment details.

Regards,

Nelson

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Thanks - i did that - seems to be good advise. :)

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hmm, yeah - but to what end ? The test account won't have the bought items they need to test the game. So this is kinda useless then.

Regs,
    Roman

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:56 PM
  • I thought the exact  same thing. Its very stupid, and was skeptical if it would work but since adding it I haven't had an issue with IAPs causing a failure.

What is extremely offensive though is that Testers will fail your app without telling you this. Seriously, how hard is it for them to clearly lay out why your app failed certification?

I hoped that Microsoft would've learned from the Windows Phone Store, but in many respects, they seem to have regressed. This is beyond stupid and needs immediate addressing by Microsoft. The fact that people even have to come ask about vague certification failures on these forums is a testament to the complete failure of their certification process.

Then they tell you to open a support tickets, and as amazing as those people are (and they are extremely great, diligent, and thoughtful),  they have around the same access to Testers that we do. They will never know specifically why something failed. I kid you not, I once got the advice "Try to submit it again".

Microsoft needs to address this. They're a multi billion dollar corporation. Surely they can afford to improve the quality of their abysmal certification process.

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Oh my, this is just bad.

On another note: The 6.2. rejection now seems to be solved:
    - All of a sudden for each Rating there are Rating Certificate Files required. Which is fine by me, but hasn't been communicated at all.

Anyway lets see what the next submission brings. The Tester Dice rolls again.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:59 PM