Opening Library Projects for Design on Expression Blend 3 RRS feed

• General discussion

• On big projects you might want to create libraries containing your usercontrols, and then use these libraries from the main application to show them, when using Prism this is a must.
    But Expression Blend 3 does not allow you to open Library Projects for designing, if you do open it, it will only show you the xaml of whatever you try to design, but not the design screen.
    To solve this problem do the following:
    1- Open the project file in a text editor
    2- Locate the output type and below it insert:
    <ProjectTypeGuids>{60dc8134-eba5-43b8-bcc9-bb4bc16c2548};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>
            <WarningLevel>4</WarningLevel>
    3- Save it and re-open it in blend 3

This should solve the problem.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:46 PM

All replies

• Thanks, that's a very helpful tip!

However, I would like to point that both Blend and Visual Studio 2008 Sp1 that ship out of the box should be creating these templates that have required GUIDs set. Hopefully, the author of the template that you ran across could fix it such that we don't have to do this by hand?

Thanks again!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Np, but in fact if you create a new library project in visual studio 2008 sp1 and then open it on Blend 3, add a window and you will not be able to design it, only view the XAML. 
    It does actually works when you create the project from Blend3, I just found out! I could not see it before because the option for library projects is HIDDEN in blend3 by default, which I personally think is a bad idea :)

Thanks for the tip!

Ricardo

Friday, May 1, 2009 9:44 PM