Using Data Feeds to APPEND Data Into PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All - thanks in advance for looking at my issue/question!

I have a use case in my business where we need to pull large amounts of time series data into PowerPivot. The data is available in data feeds, and the feeds are a type (atom compliant) that PowerPivot understands. We can download them from the 'Other Feeds' option in the Table Import Wizard. So far so good.

The challenge is that pulling a full history of the feed every day is inefficient and will overload our Internet connection if deployed at-scale. As an example, we may need data in PowerPivot from 01 January 2012 through to the current day. We can see how to configure PowerPivot to access the feed and download the full set of data. We can schedule this to happen automatically. This means, however, that we're repeatedly downloading the same historical data e.g. the January and February 2012 data (which doesn't change) is being downloaded again and again, every day or every week.

I am wondering if there is any way to set PowerPivot to APPEND data only. In this use case we would schedule a data refresh weekly, and the feed would only contain the last week of data. In this way we would not repeat the download of historical data, we would only be downloading & APPENDING the NEW data to our existing table in PowerPivot.

I hope that this makes sense!

We are using the latest PowerPivot 2012 version, and the files will be deployed & refreshed via Sharepoint 2012 and Excel Services.

Thanks very much to anyone who can shed light on this for me ;)

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:24 PM

Answers

• unfortunately it is not possible in PowerPivot to append data - you can only do full loads

you may save the data in a relational table first and use this table the source of your PowerPivot table
    this would allow you to manage the loading of that table yourself and you would not have to pull historical data on every load, you could just append the new data here
    then, in PowerPivot you would have to do a full-load again but without having to pull the data via the internet

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

• Marked as answer by dingbat24 Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:58 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 7:32 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• unfortunately it is not possible in PowerPivot to append data - you can only do full loads

you may save the data in a relational table first and use this table the source of your PowerPivot table
    this would allow you to manage the loading of that table yourself and you would not have to pull historical data on every load, you could just append the new data here
    then, in PowerPivot you would have to do a full-load again but without having to pull the data via the internet

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

• Marked as answer by dingbat24 Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:58 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 7:32 AM
    Answerer
  • Using the following technique is the only viable alternative at this time.

http://www.contextures.com/PowerPivot-Identical-Excel-Files.html

HTH!

David Hager

Excel FMVP

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know. I may need to cache the data somewhere then. Not at all ideal, but it is what it is ...
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Thanks for the idea.
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:01 AM