none
Where can I find resources to obtain more productivity with ASP.NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

First of all I would like to explain the scenario that the company that I'm working for is based.:

1. The company have a large number of "huge" desktop applications tipically CRUD (Create/Read/Update/Delete), of course with some variations and business rules involved.

2. These applications were written in VB 6.0 and the reporting tool used was Crystal Reports 7.0.

3. Such applications have the business rules inside of the GUI and no COM component was used at all, they actually have a mix of this business rules in stored procedures and in VB code.

Our challenge is to migrate these applications to .NET and at the same time transform them into Web Applications (using ASP.NET) to aggregate business value.

I'm an experienced programmer (11 years) and my boss is uneasy with the time it takes to convert a simple VB6 form to a functional ASP.NET webform (a medium form with 02 grids takes 03 days considering the DAL BLL and everything that a serious application must have these days).

To not spend to much time with web design I adopted extjs as the GUI framework (http://www.extjs.com) it's a very nice framework but it's server independent so we have some work on server side to write JSON to the HttpResponse object and we lost the ASP.NET pallete components since extjs has its own components such as grids, combos  and so on.

** We have some theories about what is slowing down this conversion proccess **

1. Create DAL (typed dataset) and BLL manually .... Does exist some way to automate this creation or even use a different pattern ?

2. Extjs seems to somehow slowing down the process because you have to deal with the Javascript directly ....

Does Silverlight or other hot Microsoft technology is good enough to make us more productive on client side ? I mean dragging labels, fields, buttons and at the same time producing a nice look ? (without the need of  a web designer)

So I would like to heard opinioins about how to make a productive environment using

MIcrosoft tools. Our team is small (03 developers fulltime and 1 developer half-time)

Appreciate any help

--marcos

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:24 PM

Answers

• First of all, take a look at WCSF, WSSF and Repository Factory from Microsoft, which are open source. They expedite the development process by auto-generating the web client layer (ASP.NET), service layer (WCF) and data layer (ADO.NET) respectively. The whole purpose of these is for you to be able to concentrate on writing your business logic. However, you may need to customize them according to your requirements. But they make a good start, esp. Repository Factory. WSSF and Repository Factory have been great assets to me many times, though I havent worked much with WCSF.

Secondly, since you are migrating ASP/VB to .NET, this would be the right time to sit down and think of re-architecting your suite of applications, if required. What are your reasons for migration? Most of the times, plain vanilla migration of just the technology doesn't help much. It will be good if you can make your boss understand that relooking at the application from a fresh perspective now can save many $ later; after the migration.

Hope this helps

--Pavan

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:09 PM

All replies

• First of all, take a look at WCSF, WSSF and Repository Factory from Microsoft, which are open source. They expedite the development process by auto-generating the web client layer (ASP.NET), service layer (WCF) and data layer (ADO.NET) respectively. The whole purpose of these is for you to be able to concentrate on writing your business logic. However, you may need to customize them according to your requirements. But they make a good start, esp. Repository Factory. WSSF and Repository Factory have been great assets to me many times, though I havent worked much with WCSF.

Secondly, since you are migrating ASP/VB to .NET, this would be the right time to sit down and think of re-architecting your suite of applications, if required. What are your reasons for migration? Most of the times, plain vanilla migration of just the technology doesn't help much. It will be good if you can make your boss understand that relooking at the application from a fresh perspective now can save many $ later; after the migration.

Hope this helps

--Pavan

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Hi all,
    I posted a similar question regarding productivity with ASP.NET on this forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/architecturegeneral/thread/356fb4d8-46fe-4f98-9861-b0bd00300962

I hadn't come across this question yet.

My main question was how easy is to use mocks with WCSF as you don't have a pure DI where yu can configure your container to resolve a particular interface. As far as I've seen, the closest configuration WCSF has it at the module level.

Thanks in advance,

Lizet

Liz
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:37 PM