I need an on-disk database system for my app

Question

• Hello everyone

I am looking for recommendations for a database for my app.

I'm beginning work on an app that will require an on-disk database system to store all it's data. I'm planning on selling the app on the Windows store so it will need to work OOTB, I don't want the user to have to install extra software. Not only this it needs to be encrypted (well if possible), and importantly, It needs to be easily extensible so I can tack on more features with each update of the app.

Thanks for any help.

Noel O'Donnell

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:15 AM

Answers

• The only database you can even use right now is SqlLite.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, January 27, 2014 3:23 PM

All replies

• The only database you can even use right now is SqlLite.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, January 27, 2014 3:23 PM
  • You should also investigate the IndexedDB, an HTML5 standard which is available from JavaScript.

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Thanks, I discovered that for myself :)

I'm currently trying to get SQLite integrated into my project, the fun begins...

... Having a bit of a problem though. My app is a JavaScript windows store app and I made a Windows Runtime component which I'm programming in C++ to do all the low-level database stuff. I made a basic DB wrapper class and a "login" function which I called from the Javascript application. No problem.

Next thing I did was create a console application (C++) which I want to use as a testbed for the WinRT component. Problem is I can't seem to successfully communicate with My WinRT component from the console app. I added a reference to it in my console app. Still compiles fine.

Now I'm stuck because (I believe) my console app uses normal C++ but my WinRT component uses C++/CX. I tried #including the WinRT's .h file in my console app, tried compiling, and it failed telling me there's a syntax error with the word "public" (plus a few other errors)

I know this isn't the correct way to do things, should it not be just as easy to consume the WinRT object from a C++ application as from a Javascript app?

Appreciate any help on this.

Cheers

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:39 AM
  • Test from a C++/Cx Windows Store app, not from a console app. Using the Windows Runtime without C++/Cx is complicated to begin with, and you cannot load custom Windows Runtime Components in a desktop app.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:57 PM
    Owner