none
Order to upgrade Exchange 2013 to CU6 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm going to upgrade Exchange 2013 to CU6 or if I change decision to CU7.

I have two CAS severs in LB and two MBX servers in DAG. Will I run or not /prepardschema first?

Will I first upgrade CAS servers or MBX servers first?

Thanks in advice.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

1.I have two CAS severs in LB and two MBX servers in DAG. Will I run or not /prepardschema first?

Note: The AD preparation tasks are not required to be run separately to the upgrade of Exchange, unless in circumstances where you need to separate the tasks to different teams with different permissions, or if you have a multi-domain forest and want to control the AD changes.

Reference Blog : http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2013-installing-cumulative-updates/

2.I have two CAS severs in LB and two MBX servers in DAG. Will I run or not /prepardschema first?

In exchange 2013 mailbox servers needs to updated first and then the cas servers.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:09 PM
  • As S.Nithyandham said, you technically don't have to do the schema update separate from the install process unless the account you are installing the CU as does not have permission to update the schema. That being said, I usually like to do a schema update myself and I usually do it a day or two before performing the CU installation.  The reason I do that is because I like to give the schema update some time to replicate in the environment and to make sure the update did not hose anything (although I haven't run into the issue yet i like to be careful :)).

Also, you should do one mailbox server first, let that complete then you can run the update one of the CAS servers and the other Mailbox at the same time.  

Just my $.02

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:43 PM