I am using Global.asax to redirect to errorpages RRS feed

• Question

• User-2110683555 posted

I am using Global.asax to redirect to errorpages. The change I have made is to redirect all types of errors to same generic error 500 page,

and also added the time delay that Scott was talking about. I also have added CustomError tag in Webconfig, should I be OK or not. I am asking this question  coz couldnt get a clearer answer from Scott's blog.

Thanks in Advance.

Dinesh.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:18 PM

Answers

• User-678074507 posted

Hi Mike, I am using Global.asax to redirect to errorpages...

Dinesh.

Dinesh,

The ASP.NET team has stated it is their highest priority to combat this issue. For the time being I would remove your custom data handling and use the recommended mitigations steps provided from Microsoft in this post.

Thanks,
    DAvid 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:40 PM
  • User-665334005 posted

Using the Application_Error() method in Global.asax.cs to always transfer to a default Error.aspx page is not helpful?  Seems like this would have the same effect.  To be safe I also modified the web.config to Scott's standards, but I think that the Application_Error() override is grabbing control beforehand anyhow.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:19 PM

All replies

• User-678074507 posted

Hi Mike, I am using Global.asax to redirect to errorpages...

Dinesh.

Dinesh,

The ASP.NET team has stated it is their highest priority to combat this issue. For the time being I would remove your custom data handling and use the recommended mitigations steps provided from Microsoft in this post.

Thanks,
    DAvid 

Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:40 PM
  • User-665334005 posted

Using the Application_Error() method in Global.asax.cs to always transfer to a default Error.aspx page is not helpful?  Seems like this would have the same effect.  To be safe I also modified the web.config to Scott's standards, but I think that the Application_Error() override is grabbing control beforehand anyhow.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:19 PM
  • User-2110683555 posted

I commented out everything from Global.asax apart from the email sending code, and used the custom errors tag to redirect to the same page with default redirect.

Thnks guys. 

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:36 AM
  • User-258909851 posted

The answers given here might not be correct for this question.

Application_error() takes over anything you put into web.config and it has the final say of where user to your site goes after an error has happened.

I be glad to listen if someone has a test case.

You can do punch of test cases to ensure you end up in the page you set via Application_error()

The ASP suggested work around is for most people who don't botter to code inside the Application_error() routine in the Global file. 

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:02 PM