none
Can Outlook(office) Add-In impact performance of any other existing Add-Ins present RRS feed

• Question

• We have created Outlook Add-In using Visual Studio Outlook 2013 Add-In project template. I understand that if my Add-In is slow then it can hamper overall performance of Outlook. But, can Add-In developed by us hamper the performance of other Add-Ins which are already present inside Outlook on end user's machine?

If yes then, how can we test or measure impact of Outlook Add-In on other Add-Ins?

It will be really great if someone from office team can answer this.

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to Architecture of VSTO Add-ins

If multiple VSTO Add-ins are installed for an application, each VSTO Add-in is loaded in a different application domain. This means that one VSTO Add-in that behaves incorrectly cannot cause other VSTO Add-ins to fail.

It also helps to ensure that when the application is closed, all the VSTO Add-in assemblies are unloaded from memory. For more information about application domains, see Application Domains.

So I think Add-ins would not hamper the performance of other Add-ins which are already installed in Outlook.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:40 AM