none
Webserver request response correlation RRS feed

• Question

• This is a question which is haunting me for last 10 years and still unresolved, so please don't make fun of me :)

When some user request for a webpage by hitting the URL in the browser, IIS server gets that request , create response and send backs the response.

My query is that how webserver maps the response to the correct user, othewise it might send response for User B to User A. Is it keeping some of ID corresponding to each IP requesting for a webpage. If yes, where exactly this information is stored in IIS and what is stored(ID corresponding to requests in some queue).

Kindly clarify

Cheers

TicArch

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:51 AM

All replies

• Actually that information is stored in the cookie inside the browser and ever time you send a request from your browser to IIS an additional information regarding the client(which is stored in the cookie) is sent to the IIS. IIS uses that info to revert back response to the same client where the request was originated from.

A new cookie is created every time when a new request is sent to server and that cookie is reused whenever you send a request from Same client to same server. These cookies can also be reset to ensure a new cookie instance to be created whenever you require.

Let me know if you have more queries regarding this.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Thanks for replying Divya.

However my query is somewhat different as i am asking about activity at server level only(after request reaches at server and before response is sent to client).

When request arrives at server with the cookie information till the time response is sent back to client, where and how server maintain that information in itself so that response is sent to the correct requestor. Please let me know if i am still not clear in my query.

Cheers

TicArch

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:34 AM
  • The server works with http headers, verbs, content and the IP address.

These are held in memory in IIS and after whatever processing is done it looks at the incoming IP address to decide where to send the guff back to.  And yes this is a bit of a simplification.

There is no cookie involved in straight HTML and HTTP.  With asp.net there's a special cookie which identifies the user session and I would guess that's the cause of the cookie confusion. 

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:55 PM
  • You are right in saying that keeping IPAddress, verbs,htp headers in memory is a bit of simplification.

I want to know the exact object(queue,stack,hashtable etc) in which this is stored and the way it will be retreived back.

I might be demanding too much, but here is where i get stuck everytime

Cheers

TicArch

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:33 AM