Source Control to in VS2010 stopped seeing shared rive where sourcesafe.ini is located RRS feed

• Question

• I use VS2010 for some 20 projects and we use sourcesafe which is on a shared drive, we never got the sourcesafe webservice to work but the lan option always worked for us. After a few months after our last release I wanted to start working on new changes and now I keep getting an error saying that it can't find the sourcesafe database and to select another, this happened before if I got disconnected from that shareddrive but when I checked I'm conected and I can see all my shared drives but from VS2010 I don't. I'm not sure if there was update pushed to my machine but it used to work fine before. If I open the SourceSafe client everything works fine and I can check out and check in files, but this is a big pain in the rear when I'm changing dozens of files when before from VS2010 I could checkout, compare and check in quiclky.

A little background about my setup, I'm on WIndows Seven with SourceSafe2005, all C++ apps. We use active directory in our corporation and I have my regular id for normal login and then I have an elevated id for access to servers. So I'm normaly logged in as the regular id and my shares are mapped with the elevated id. I asked for admin in my reglar id and tried running VS2010 as admin but it didn't work trying to fix the problem and I can't map to those shares with my regular id.

I googled for a while and I didn't find anything about it, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gonzalo

Folder View - VS2010 Vs. WIndows Explorer

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:47 PM

Answers

• Oh, that is why the VS can work always in my side. We narrow it to the ID card and certification issue. But it is actually out of our VSS forum scope, and unfortunately, I just can suggest the TechNet forum for security, that may help you on this system and ID card certification issue.

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by _Gonz_ Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:01 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Gonz,

Seems an issue with VS 2010 that cannot view the mapped drive in IDE. Did you try to view it in the normal Open File dialog of the VS 2010, not from the VSS DB Selection dialog?

I searched, and just find some similar issues in VS installation forum, some cases say we could try to run the "devenv.exe" in command console, and we could navigate to the specific mapped location in console, then run "devenv.exe" then.

And others seems that you could try to follow this docuemtn to change the setting: Some Programs Cannot Access Network Locations When UAC Is Enabled http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Bob Bao [MSFT]

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I tried from the command line as admin and not and still the same, but I noticed that not all my shared drives not show only the ones I mapped with a different network login id that the one I'm actually logged in the computer with so I'm guessing it was some kind of security patch that made VS2010 more strict about what it can access. I don't have access to change any of the UAC settings as you might guess working in a corporate environment, I tried but they have it all locked in.

I'll keep searching, my guess is that somehow I need to run VS2010 as a different network login id, the same that I used to map the shared drive where sourcesafe is but I didn't find how to do that yet. If I find it I'll post it here.

Thanks

Gonzalo

Gonzalo

Friday, July 13, 2012 1:27 PM
  • So much for that theory, found how how to run a process as a different user in here and VS2010 started as a brand new installation, many of the packages and add-ins got errors and didn't load but just to see if I can see the mapped shared drives I hit continue. Opening the projects same error, can't find the sourcesafe database in the drive specified so I click add to see what drives I can see and now can't see any mapped drives there, I was expecting to see the mapped drives I created with the same network login id as the one I used to start VS2010.

Gonzalo

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:12 PM
  • I see your mapped driver for the disk$ hidden share. Could you please try to use the standard shared driver, set it by user, not using the system hidden share.

Bob Bao [MSFT]

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:44 AM
  • I'm not sure what you mean, but I thik I found a pattern about this. We use a smart ID card as an employee ID and for connecting remotely from home using ur work laptops or signing encrypting email, and I noticed that when I start my laptop with the ID card insrted in the card reader and use the pin number that goes with it to login, it seems from that point on the certificates on that id card are used instead of the usual windows credentials If I don't use this card at all when starting my laptop and just use our network user and password then it all goes well and visual studio connects to sourcesafe as usual.  I think is because the servers don't know how to handle my ID card certificates.

Gonzalo

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Oh, that is why the VS can work always in my side. We narrow it to the ID card and certification issue. But it is actually out of our VSS forum scope, and unfortunately, I just can suggest the TechNet forum for security, that may help you on this system and ID card certification issue.

Bob Bao [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by _Gonz_ Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:01 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Thanks Bob, yes it seems with the security guys clamping down on everything is getting harder to use good old SourceSafe and everything else.  On top of that ID card with certificates we have this product called evecto installed in all our machines that even if you are an admnistrator in your machine it gets in the middle and it runs things its way, what a pain. I was getting ready to try team foundation 2012 to see how that works for us and then I'll pitch it to management, wish me luck..

Gonzalo

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:08 PM