Add-Ins tab disappears from the ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My environment is:

• Windows XP SP3
    • Office 2007 SP3
    • Visual Studio SP1
    • .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

I developed a VSTO Excel template with a ribbon. Since the ribbon is very simple, I put it in the Add-Ins tab. However, when I switch to another workbook that doesn't show this tab, the Add-Ins tab disappears.

Here're the properties of the tab:

• ControlID = TabAddIns
    • GenerateMember = True
    • Key Tip (not set)
    • Label = TabAddIns
    • Locked = False
    • Modifiers = Friend
    • Position = Default
    • Tag (not set)
    • Visible = True

What am I doing wrong?

Carlos Mallen

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Carlos

This will happen with any Ribbon customization (whether built-in or custom tab) that is in a document-level solution.

This is good if what you're after is a document-specific solution; bad if what you want is something available to users all the time. In that case, you want to create an Excel Add-in rather than an Excel workbook template.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hi Carlos

If this is an Excel template solution - and not a VSTO Add-in for Excel - then the Ribbon customization in the solution will only be available to a workbook created from the template. The Ribbon customization is file-specific and not available to the entire application.

• Marked as answer by Carlos Mallen Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:11 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Carlos

If this is an Excel template solution - and not a VSTO Add-in for Excel - then the Ribbon customization in the solution will only be available to a workbook created from the template. The Ribbon customization is file-specific and not available to the entire application.

• Marked as answer by Carlos Mallen Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:11 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your answer. Will this behavior persist if I use another built-in tab? Would this be correct (a good practice)?

Kind regards,

Carlos Mallen

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Hi Carlos

This will happen with any Ribbon customization (whether built-in or custom tab) that is in a document-level solution.

This is good if what you're after is a document-specific solution; bad if what you want is something available to users all the time. In that case, you want to create an Excel Add-in rather than an Excel workbook template.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:56 PM