Winbiocapturesample returning E_NOTIMPL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a Verimark IT Fingerprint key, managed to make it work with Windows Hello and can login using fingerprint.

However when i tried to use the function Winbiocapturesample it reutrns E_NOTIMPL. I suspect it should be working similarly with the function since it was already compatible with Windows Logon? I was following a sample code, to do WinBioOpenSession and then WinBioCaptureSample, the code ended with 0x80004001 which stated as "The biometric unit does not support the requested operation". 

Can I seek guidance on programming the biometric reader to use it for my own? Or at least make it work with Windows Biometric Framework?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Arik. 

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:12 AM

Answers

• This depends on the Valid combinations of the Purpose and Flags parameters, and Valid combinations of the Purpose and Flags parameters depend on the capabilities of the biometric unit being used. You should consult the vendor's sensor documentation to determine which combinations of valid Purpose and Flags values are supported and how they affect the captured data. 

It seems that function WinBioVerify only for verifying the identity of a user. You could refer the Constants below:

WINBIO_BIR_PURPOSE

WINBIO_BIR_DATA_FLAGS

Best Regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ariklim Tuesday, May 5, 2020 9:07 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 3:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

According to the error message of E_NOTIMPL, the biometric unit may not support the requested operation. Have you try to update the driver? 

And There is a sample on MSDN:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winbio/nf-winbio-winbiocapturesample#examples

And there is also an example on Github:

https://github.com/djbozkosz/Windows-Biometric-Framework-FingerPrint-Example

Best Regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 3:37 AM
  • Hi Drake,

Really appreciate your reply! 

I noticed that if i have registered with Windows Hello, and use the function "WinBioVerify", it is able to read the thumb print provided and compare it with the existing logon user.

The example that I followed:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winbio/nf-winbio-winbioverify

Just wanted to understand why the simple WinBioCaptureSample function doesnt work, but other function may work. And may I ask if you know how I trigger the local storage of the USB Fingerprint reader? Because I was told that the device that I had will "Match-In-Sensor" meaning it does not send the fingerprint to the desktop, just say whether it was recorded. 

I want to utilize this but not using Windows Logon, more like using Match-In-Sensor to unlock my own application.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Arik

Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

In that example, the WINBIO_FLAG_RAW flag is not specifyied in WinBioOpenSession.

And according to the WinBioCaptureSample:

• To call this function successfully, you must open the session handle by specifying WINBIO_FLAG_RAW in the Flags parameter of the WinBioOpenSession or WinBioAsyncOpenSession functions. Currently, only applications running under the Administrators and Local System accounts have the necessary privileges.

Try to use WINBIO_FLAG_RAW flag.

Best Regards,

Drake

Friday, April 3, 2020 9:05 AM
  • Hi Drake,

Appreciate your response again.

The example https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winbio/nf-winbio-winbioverify was not my concern. I am trying to say that winbioverify is able to work properly, but then when i use WinBioCaptureSample it failed. Thus it makes me wonder why does it fail.

The output from WinBioCaptureSample stats (E_NOTIMPL) seems that the biometric reader was not implemented, however i was able to run winbioverify. 

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Arik. 

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:43 AM
  • This depends on the Valid combinations of the Purpose and Flags parameters, and Valid combinations of the Purpose and Flags parameters depend on the capabilities of the biometric unit being used. You should consult the vendor's sensor documentation to determine which combinations of valid Purpose and Flags values are supported and how they affect the captured data. 

It seems that function WinBioVerify only for verifying the identity of a user. You could refer the Constants below:

WINBIO_BIR_PURPOSE

WINBIO_BIR_DATA_FLAGS

Best Regards,

Drake

• Marked as answer by Ariklim Tuesday, May 5, 2020 9:07 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 3:48 AM