SQL Azure usage and pricing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was thinking about using the SQL Azure platform as an online storage for a Windows application - is this the right approach, I mean is this a way you would usually use the SQL Azure platform?

And what about pricing, is there no bandwidth pricing like in Windows Azure? I can only see pricing related to database sizes...

Monday, November 1, 2010 10:16 AM

Answers

• Pricing is $0.1 in and $0.15 out per Gigabyte in the US region, 3 times as much in APAC. If you have extreme bursts throughput might be a problem but it is something to try out. Given the fact that it costs you about $0.33 to test this per day I would just spend an hour converting the database, simulate your updates/ queries and see how it goes. But given the fact that it is only 1 company I would definitely consider it.

-- My Azure Sites: www.eblizz.com , www.freshfugu.com Blog: martinatsunset.com Twitter: martin_sunset
    • Marked as answer by APMadsen Monday, November 1, 2010 11:22 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 10:53 AM

All replies

• This is entirely possible, although not a recommended approach. The reason for this is that you expose your data model and your credentials to the client and you will have a significantly higher latency. That said if I'd be running an IT department in a small or mid-size company that has lot's of departmental apps it is something I would seriously consider. There are also new VPN features coming (announced at this CTP). I have not looked at them yet but they probably allow you to extend your internal network into the cloud to alleviate the security concerns.

Pricing is pretty straightforward, you pay in tiers for the amount of storage you consume per day, for example if you have 2 databases up a full month with 130MB each you pay 2 * ($10 / 30) * 30 per month for that.

In addition to that you have to pay for any traffic that occurs in and out of the data center. If you access your site directly from a client app this means that any access to the db incurs charges. If you are thinking about doing this for a small inhouse app this should be no problem.

IYou might want to check out the odata interface to the sql database which is currently in CTP (sqlazurelabs.com I think). 

-- My Azure Sites: www.eblizz.com , www.freshfugu.com Blog: martinatsunset.com Twitter: martin_sunset
    • Edited by Martin Wawrusch 2 Monday, November 1, 2010 1:39 PM Forgot a division in the calculation.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 10:34 AM
  • I was thinking about creating an account specifically for that company who uses the application, so they'd be entitled to know the credentials/datamodel, but I'd have to convince them, which is why i need to know the prices...

A typical database for this customer, would be about 500MB, and there would be a significant amount of UPDATEs each day (about 250.000), since the database contains data gathered from other data sources.

Is there a pricelist for traffic available anywhere?

Monday, November 1, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Pricing is $0.1 in and $0.15 out per Gigabyte in the US region, 3 times as much in APAC. If you have extreme bursts throughput might be a problem but it is something to try out. Given the fact that it costs you about $0.33 to test this per day I would just spend an hour converting the database, simulate your updates/ queries and see how it goes. But given the fact that it is only 1 company I would definitely consider it.

• Marked as answer by APMadsen Monday, November 1, 2010 11:22 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Sorry, but I have one more question - how do you come up with the numbers " 2 * $10 * 30 per month"? Isn't the price fixed per month???
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:36 PM
  • My bad, sorry, forgot a division by 30.

I changed my reply to reflect this.

Here is the relevant part regarding the database pricing from the home page: That database fee is amortized over the month and charge on a daily basis. You pay for the user databases you have on the days you have them. 

Monday, November 1, 2010 1:42 PM