Scheduling Software / Components for Manufactoring RRS feed

• Question

• User-2040990197 posted

Hi,
     I am looking for an ASP.Net based component that may be able to assist me with a project I may be working on shortly. Essentially what I am trying to find is a control that provides scheduling functionality for the purposes of creating a monthly "shipping forecast" for production orders that need to be shipped to customers, rather than a scheduling for appointments, resources etc. The scheduling of these production orders is nothing more than simply assigning an anticipated, or expect shipping date for each order based on a list that is produced by production managers. 

As the process works today, a production team member receives a spreadsheet from the production manager (on a weekly basis), which is essentially a dump from our ERP database. From that list the production team members filter the spreadsheet to grab all the production orders associated with their area (department). From there the production team member dumps his / her production orders into a common Excel spreadsheet and creates a weekly "shipping schedule" (or forecast) of what they think they can reasonably ship based on criteria such as number of operations left for a particular order etc. This list is then forwarded to our shipping team who then work through the list manually and prepare/prioritize what needs to go out any given week.

Things can sometimes change, such as delays, causing production team members to move some orders from one week's day to another or sometimes to another week or month altogether.

As you might image all of this is done outside of our ERP database which does not by the way have a Shipping module. I was recently asked to work with one of the production team members to see how we might better "automate" this process by building an application to replace the offline (or disconnected) Excel process. After meeting with one of the production team members he inferred that if we built something he'd want to have the same flexibility that Excel offers, such as the ability to copy and paste multiple order records at a time and drop them into the appropriate week number and day date for which they should be scheduled to ship, and if necessary move them around the scheduling plan (different weeks, or day etc) as things change on the production floor.

I've looked at products like Day Pilot, Infragistics Web Scheduler and other products from Telerik and DevExpress but these seem to be more related to appointment and resource management. In my case I would need to be say grab a list of orders for a specific week, and allow the user to select one or more orders and drag them onto a calendar, invoking a method to update the ERP database, to modify the expected shipping date, and then remove from the selection those that have been scheduled. As well I need functionality to all them after the fact to drag and drop orders they may have scheduled on day, to another based on the changing criteria that may occur.

My questions are is are they any products (ASP.Net) components for manufacturing scheduling needs that can achieve the above, can any of the above be retrofitted to handle my requirements and/or what would you recommend?

The important thing is I don't want to be in a position of having to reinvent the wheel and working as a lone developer on my projects I typically have to get things done on tight timeframes lest we get far behind on everything else.

Thanks,
    Paul

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

• User-2131369213 posted

Just to let you know..... asp.net is a technology that allows you to communicate easily between client and server, based on web standards...

If you want scheduling software, you can build it with .Net but you won't be using asp.net...

Best practice is to build a windows service for this, and this service could do anything, call an asp.net webpage, write something to a database,.....

another way of working is building a console application and then schedule it in windows... this is not best practice, but on the other hand, if your service crashes, it's over, if your console app crashes, it will just restart the next time your windows schedule will call it...

Sunday, September 2, 2012 7:22 AM