none
Publishing the site locally in Expression web 4 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I almost finish my new website in D drive. I locally published the site to a new folder in C drive, which is going to be my launching pad.  Unexpectedly not all the files are published into the new folder!   Completely it ignored the folder for the styles in two attempts and missed several links. (Of course I selected all folders)  Later I published single folder by folder. Now it is ok.  Any feedback please.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:55 AM

All replies

• Well, if it's oK now, there's not much to tell you. It's impossible after the fact to remotely determine what the problem was for you then. We can make SWAGs all day long, and that's all they'll be—guesses.

That said, when working with local drives, including mapped network drives, it's much easier to open two copies of Explorer (or use PowerDesk or equivalent), then simply drag and drop the entire folder containing the Web from one drive to another, then just open the new copy in  EW, than to have EW publish from one place to another.

You accomplish the same thing, and nothing gets left behind. If you're organizing and managing your site correctly, all required resources will be in that folder, so the drag and drop gets it all in one action.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Thanks Scott, for the comments, most of the time I use “Export Web Package” feature in EW4 for local drives and for backups too.  This is the first time I used the Publishing feature to publish locally and didn’t work well.

My understanding is that “Export Web Package” feature in EW4 won’t be workable for remote destination.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:31 PM
  • My understanding is that “Export Web Package” feature in EW4 won’t be workable for remote destination.

Correct, you need to "Publish all files"
    Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:45 PM