Windows 8 Picture Password API and Windows 8 Login PIN and Picture Password Automatic Device Synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Windows Picture Password authentication mechanism as an API within a 3rd party Windows 8 modern application?  I want to use Windows's Picture Password functionality as a secondary security login in an Windows application I am writing.  Basically, I want Windows to handle all the details of user authentication and management using Windows Picture Password at the application level.  Also, does anyone know how to configure Windows 8 to synchronize the Windows login Picture Password and PIN login mechanisms automatically across all Windows 8 devices owned by an end-user?  Thank you.
    Monday, March 4, 2013 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

There is no API for Picture Password authentication.

You should be able to set your password settings to sync between trusted PCs from the "Sync your settings" control panel. For more information or other questions about configuring your Windows 8 system please check with the Windows 8 forums on http://answers.microsoft.com .

--Rob

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

There is no API for Picture Password authentication.

You should be able to set your password settings to sync between trusted PCs from the "Sync your settings" control panel. For more information or other questions about configuring your Windows 8 system please check with the Windows 8 forums on http://answers.microsoft.com .

--Rob

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:00 AM
  • Thanks Rob.

Too bad Microsoft doesn't add this functionality to the Windows SDK.  A "complete authentication framework" with SDK access to the biometric framework and picture password (with end-user device synchronization) for the Windows platform (across Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Kinect and maybe XBOX, XBOX-Kinect) would be a great software development differentiator for the Windows ecosystem. 

--Mark

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:39 PM