none
How to migrate desktop application to web based app in .net? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone
    I've a vb.net desktop application with the ability to take photograph from web cam, to take fingerprints using some third party sdk and the database used mysql 5.

But as the project demands to operate from anywhere it's required to make the project web based [not my choice!]. The remote client will require to provide fingerprints and photo through online which will ultimately be saved in db server.

Anyway I need some directions about how to start it. I off course would like to use my legacy code developed for desktop application. For example i would prefer to use my existing form to capture for fingerprints. Is there any way to port my desktop module as some sort of dll which i can invoke from asp.net/silverlight?

I don’t know how this could be done but believe that there is some way to port my desktop application to web based. Should i use silverlight or something else? Which one will be faster as the remote client will see live feedback of fingerprint capturing process?

Any help/direction is really appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, June 1, 2009 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hmm, I don't see how that practically possible.  Just converting your code to ASP.NET will only show web cam images of the inside of the server room.  And users will have to get a key to the server room door first before they can use the fingerprint reader.  You will have to run the code that interfaces with the camera and the reader client-side.  That's pretty tuff, browsers don't care much for custom code running custom hardware and SDKs.  Keeping the reader secure would be a major undertaking too.

Post to a forum at forums.asp.net to find out how to do this.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Friday, June 5, 2009 11:38 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:45 PM