How to connect to a SQL 2005 Database with SP Designer 2007 using Windows Auth? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm tearing my hair out over this one and hope someone here has run into this before, or could point me in the right direction.

I'm working on a SharePoint 2003 server (yes, I know they should upgrade, not in my control!).  I have a web part page that until recently pulled information out of a database on a SQL 2005 Server (using a username and password).  The SQL server admin recently migrated the data over to a new server, and now the only way to access it is to use Windows Authentication.

I have tried several times in SharePoint Designer 2007 to access this database using WA and have so far been unsuccessful.  I have tried using the "Use Windows Authentication" and "Use custom connection string" options in Configure Database Connection in SPD 2007 -- I get this error message for both:

"Server Error: An error occurred while retrieving the list of Databases from (Server_Name): An authentication error occurred.  Your logon information may be incorrectly entered, you may not have permission to access this data source, or the requested authentication method may not be supported. Contact the server administrator for more information."

The connection string I have tried using: Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SERVER_NAME;Initial Catalog=DB_NAME;Integrated Security=SSPI

(I have even tried adding the provider attribute twice, which did not help any.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nicki
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:44 PM

All replies