Enabling Office Add-ins in Office Web Apps Server or Office Online Server RRS feed

• Question

• We are developing an Office Add-in for Word Online.

When I run Word Desktop or Word Online in Office 365 there is a "My Add-Ins" button on the tool bar.

But when I run it on our Office Web Apps Server or Office Online Server the button is not available

Is there a way to enable this feature?

Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

>> Enabling Office Add-ins in Office Web Apps Server or Office Online Server

In my option, it is impossible. With the link below, Office Add-ins are supported on a growing number of Office host applications running on the desktop, tablets, mobile devices, and in Office Online in the browser. Office web apps server or Office Online server are not included in the list.

# Office applications that support Office Add-ins
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj220082.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 27, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Edward.

I am trying to get this working with "Word Online" in a browser, which is listed in the supported Office Application table in your link.  

The only difference is that I am running Word Online hosted by Office Web Apps Server/Office Online Server instead of Office 365. So in theory shouldn't it work?

-Ben

Friday, November 27, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Word online in Office 365 is hosted on SharePoint. Your Word online is hosted on Office web apps server. They are different. With the link below, task pane could be published to add-in catalog on Sharepoint. I think it is not supported in Office web app server.

# Options for publishing Office Add-ins
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp123515.aspx

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:10 AM
  • Hi Ed,

We are working with Sharepoint 2016 and office online server. So there is no way we would be able to insert out add-in to word online ?

Thanks,

Goutham

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:39 AM
  • All,

We had to enable officeaddins explicitly for the office web apps farm

Set-OfficeWebAppsFarm -OfficeAddinEnabled

Now we are able to see add ins while editing online

Thanks,

Goutham

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Hi Goutham,

Thanks for sharing the solution.

Since your issue is a little different from original post, I am afraid I could not mark your reply as answer.

For your issue and solution, I would suggest you post a new thread with your issue, and share us your solution within a new reply, and then make your reply as answer.

Your solution would help others who run into the same issue.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:56 AM