Right Click Equivalent

Question

• What is the equivalent of right-click to bring up a context menu in a Metro app?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Right click or the swipe from the bottom gesture is used to bring up the app bar and any additional UI from the top of the screen (such as the IE tab selection). Context should be determined from the currently open content, rather than based on clicking on any specific UI element.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Windows Logo Key + Z will also bring the AppBar up!
    Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:01 PM
  • You mean I can't localize the menu according to the region of the app I'm interested in controlling? 

For example, I have a graph on the screen and I want to modify the X axis, would I have to drill down through the app bar instead of pointing to the X axis and right clicking to expose a menu explicitly for it?

Max

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Context menus based on on-screen elements aren't a very "metro" way of doing things. It's better to think about how you could offer the functionality through direct manipulation instead. For example, if the aim is to change the scale of a graph in order to get a closer look, it might be better to use zoom and panning to allow the user to drill into the data. If you're looking to change units, say between mp/h and km/h, you might instead choose to do so by treating the on-screen units indicator to act as a toggle when clicked on. Alternatively, if the user is likely to prefer one set of units all the time, implement the settings contract and place unit selection in there.
    • Edited by AndyCadley Friday, October 7, 2011 8:30 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 8:29 AM
  • What is the equivalent of right-click to bring up a context menu in a Metro app?

The touch gesture is press & hold - you should see a ghosted context menu indicator after a small delay. Releasing the hold at this point will bring up a context menu.

For an example of how to use context menus in your app, see the context menu sample:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Context-menu-sample-40840351/sourcecode?fileId=43632&pathId=16158644

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:19 AM