none
Outlook 2010has 4 PST files whereas 2007 has a single PST RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have Outlook 2007 on my main machine, and Outlook 2010 on a new machine. Both machines are Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Both seem to be working just fine. They store their PST files in different locations, but that's no problem, and I do backup the PST files for both, as part of my usual procedures. The thing I don't understand is that Outlook 2010 has 4 PST files, one for each of the 4 email addresses I have. Outlook 2007 has a single PST file, with all those accounts combined. And, in the Outlook 2007 left hand column, where the various folders are shown, there is only 1 Personal master folder, with all my subfolders beneath that. In Outlook 2010, there are 4 "Master" folders, one for each of the email addresses. Each folder has the usual subfolders. In playing around this weekend, I believe that I was able to instruct the program to put all incoming mail for all 4 addresses into my main "ronhirsch1439@comcast.net" folder. But all 4 Master folders are still there, labeled with their respective email addresses, and containing their own "Sent", "Inbox" et al. And of course, they are all now staying empty. I prefer the arrangement in 2007, where all mail accounts are combined into the single PST file. I guess it's possible that when I set up the accounts, I did not check an appropriate setting somewhere to combine all, as I have in 2007. To the best of my knowledge I followed the exact same procedure both times. So, the real question is, can I simply replace the 4 PST files for Outlook 2010, with a copy of the single PST file I have in 2007. Will that serve to do what I want, and allow both installs to have duplicate setups? I've done lots of searching via Google on this matter, but I've not been able to find anything on this situation. Having the accounts combined will allow me to readily sync my 2007 and 2010 accounts on the two machines, as I can then just copy over the PST from 2007 to 2010?
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

this forum is specializied for WPT / performance issues. 

Because of this please check the Outlook related forum's.

Thanks and Best regards

Rainer 

RPA
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I apoligize for the screwup on my part. When I went to confirm my setup on the forums, I had a freezeup on my system, and I could not complete that step. (I am in the proces of awaiting for a replacement for my OCZ SSD drive, which has failed twice on the system I built last year).

So I shut down and rebooted. And then in the screens which appeared, I had some difficulty getting things straightened out, and I apparently messed up, in trying to finish off the post I had made.

And I did expect that I would get a message such as yours.

Can this message be deleted from the forum - tocover my error?

Thanks,

Ron Hirsch

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Ron,

don't worry for this :).

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:07 PM