How to uninstall Windows Driver Kit 8 Release Preview RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Driver Kit 8 Release Preview installed on my Windows 7 64bit desktop, now I can not uninstall it to reinstall the release version. The Windows Driver Kit 8 Release Preview does not show in the Programs and Features dialog, I tried to reinstall, uninstall and repair, but all failed. If I try to install the release version (wdksetupforVS2012.exe), it says the features installed on this computer are up-to-date. Is there a way to manually force uninstall? Thanks.

• Edited by Feng Xu Friday, August 31, 2012 6:39 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 2:24 AM

Answers

• Feng,

You want to remove the following registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kit
    The key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots lists where the kit is installed.  After you delete the registry key feel free to remove the files before you install the new kit.  Once you have removed the registry key the installer will run without any problems.

Bill Gilroy [MSFT] 

• Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Feng Xu Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Feng Xu Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:34 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 10:52 PM

All replies

• Feng,

You want to remove the following registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kit
    The key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots lists where the kit is installed.  After you delete the registry key feel free to remove the files before you install the new kit.  Once you have removed the registry key the installer will run without any problems.

Bill Gilroy [MSFT] 

• Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Feng Xu Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Feng Xu Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:34 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Bill,

I tried your suggestion to remove the registry values and folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits, however I still get the same message “the features installed on this computer are up-to-date”. Looks like it’s a huge mistake to install “Release Preview”, I have the same issue on a couple of machines.

Thansk.

• Edited by Feng Xu Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Bill is from Microsoft.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Hi, Feng.

Please try "wdksetup.exe /uninstall" from command prompt.

Regards,

Hiro

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:45 PM
  • This solution works, the deletion of the registry key may have helped. I first deleted the appropriate registry keys, then I executed `wdksetup.exe /uninstall`, and afterwards the kit setup would not report that all components are up to date. The setup then run successfully.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:48 PM
  • I had also a problem to uninstall WDK and for me this procedure worked. Here is what I had to do step by step:

1. remove the following registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kit

2. Restart machine

3. "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{a2dc32b2-d7ac-425c-9947-551c3b16f848}\wdksetup.exe" /uninstall

(You can find the exact location for wdksetup.exe using Search Everything: https://www.voidtools.com/)

Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:16 PM
  • hi ....,,, i have same issue but as you say doing by regedit i can't find "Wow6432Node"

but i search it as "kit" in regedit i found but it there in there in the add or remove window

and i want to ask you that this WDK is virus or it will ruined my computer 

thanks

Thursday, April 6, 2017 4:04 PM