none
Microsoft network issue, I am expected to pay $1800 for?

Question

• Today at 2:39pm EST, we stopped being able to communicate with Azure storage services.

Azure says 'service is operating normal'.

ISP says 'everything is leaving our network'.

Use 2nd location and it does work fine - so Azure is up.  

Finally narrow it down to the data getting on the msn network and then not working.

tracert that goes through ch3-96cbe-1b.ntwk.msn.net  works fine.  
    tracert that goes through nda-96c-1b.ntwk.msn.net  does not work.

Now, if I want M$ to look at this, I must pay $1800 ($300 per month for 6 months) support contract to have them look at and fix a problem on their own network.

How is this fair?  I understand what support is, but just like with software, if I find a bug, M$ does not charge you for reporting it.  But in this case Azure does not work that way?

What am I to do?

Wayne

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you explain further your issue to be able to help you ?

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community https://BuildWindows.wordpress.com

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Would you be able to elaborate on your issue?
    When you say "we stopped being able to communicate with Azure storage services" what really happens?
    Is there any particular error message? If you could explain what you're trying to do, how you do it and when it fails, it'd be really helpful.
    You could also run fiddler trace and check if that points out any issue, you could share the trace with us to analyze it.

Regards,
    Malar.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:22 AM
  • Azure was working.  ISP was working.

However, we could not reach the Azure service.

Running a Trace Route revealed the packet reached the msn.net network, but from there never returned.

Around 10pm EST someone somewhere fixed it.

Really disappointed in the 'Azure support' and to have a ticket to have someone investigate THEIR OWN ISSUE would cost $1800....

Wayne

Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Review the SLA of the service, if the downtime is greater than the SLA, then you can call the Billing Support and ask them for a refund. Otherwise, 'legally', you are not covered.

In the meanwhile, i understand that MS should provide at least a free basic support.

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community https://BuildWindows.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Pradnya K Friday, March 11, 2016 3:43 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:55 PM