none
How much RAM does the VM have when a new Azure SQL database server is created? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the default RAM size for the virtual machine when a new SQL database server is created on Azure? It doesn't seem to be exposed in the server properties. 

- How can I find out?

- Can I change it?

Thanks

Jaspreet

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:44 PM

Answers

• SQL Database is a PaaS capability and it wont expose any way to increase the size of the RAM.

Database administration in SQL Database (Azure) differs most from SQL Server in terms of physical administration. SQL Database automatically replicates all data to provide high availability. SQL Database also manages load balancing and, in case of a server failure, transparent fail-over to a healthy machine hosting one of the backup copies of your database.

you cannot control the physical resources of SQL Database. For example, you cannot specify the physical hard drive or file group where a database or index will reside. Because the computer file system is not accessible and all data is automatically replicated, SQL Server backup and restore commands are not applicable to SQL Database. The SQL Database service still backs up all databases;

For more details on comparision between traditional sql server and SQL Azure DB please go through this link, Link2

If you want to control the DB server, you go for Azure IaaS VM and install SQL server there. You will get a IaaS sql server machine from gallery also which you can configure as you like. For more information you can refer to this link.

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

Another wordaround that i figured out is apply a large instance Virtual mahchine, and treat this VM as database server,

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/windows/common-tasks/install-sql-server/

The extra large Virtual Machine RAM is 14GB.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:10 AM

All replies

• SQL Database is a PaaS capability and it wont expose any way to increase the size of the RAM.

Database administration in SQL Database (Azure) differs most from SQL Server in terms of physical administration. SQL Database automatically replicates all data to provide high availability. SQL Database also manages load balancing and, in case of a server failure, transparent fail-over to a healthy machine hosting one of the backup copies of your database.

you cannot control the physical resources of SQL Database. For example, you cannot specify the physical hard drive or file group where a database or index will reside. Because the computer file system is not accessible and all data is automatically replicated, SQL Server backup and restore commands are not applicable to SQL Database. The SQL Database service still backs up all databases;

For more details on comparision between traditional sql server and SQL Azure DB please go through this link, Link2

If you want to control the DB server, you go for Azure IaaS VM and install SQL server there. You will get a IaaS sql server machine from gallery also which you can configure as you like. For more information you can refer to this link.

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Veerendra, Thanks for the answer. From the link you mentioned

"Microsoft administers and configures the physical hardware such as hard drives, servers, and storage. This approach helps SQL Database provide a large-scale multi-tenant database service that offers enterprise-class availability, scalability, security, and self-healing."

That makes sense. However, my question is specifically around the RAM, which is not mentioned here as one of the things that cannot be configured. I'm not an expert but RAM size should not get in the way of being able to provide the above mentioned goals that Microsoft has for SQL Azure.

Also, is there any way to tell how much RAM is being allocated to the VM by default? I don't see it it in the configuration.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:22 PM
  • I've re-posted this question in the SQL Azure forum. Sorry for the duplicate but I think that is the better place for this question. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdsgetstarted/thread/03d440ea-82a7-48e5-8661-9a3968233374

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:28 PM
  • As i mentioned, it is not possible to specify the RAM requirements for sql DB in azure. Since it is PaaS everything related to infrastructure is contolled by platform only.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Hi,

Another wordaround that i figured out is apply a large instance Virtual mahchine, and treat this VM as database server,

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/windows/common-tasks/install-sql-server/

The extra large Virtual Machine RAM is 14GB.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:10 AM