none
[SOLVED] Pushpins don't appear in IE8 64-bit. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

     

    Strangely enough, pushpins which are added to the map by way of SQL server 2008 data don't appear on my map in IE8 (64-bit). In every other major browser they appear except MS's own. IE is not communicating with my SQL server database, because even the text I put on the screen based on the pins isn't there.

     

    Sorry if this is not exactly a bing maps issue (it seems more like an issue between IE8 and SQL Server 2008), but if anyone has a suggestion as to how to rectify this, I'm all ears. I get my data via Windows Authentication from an SQL Server 2008 database. Perhaps a setting in IE is not enabled? I'll be digging into this to see what I can find out.

     

    Kevin


    • Edited by kevin-berry Friday, July 15, 2011 9:39 AM
    • Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:02 AM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:39 AM

Answers

  • Well, pushpins work fine in my IE 64-bit ;) As you say, I doubt it's a Bing Maps issue as such, but probably some javascript somewhere that is being interpreted differently between browsers. Are you making an XmlHTTPRequest to get the data? That's a common place to find errors. Or, alternatively, are you passing the coordinates returned from the database to the Microsoft.Maps.Location constructor as strings rather than numbers - that's another common error.

    Can you post a link to your map so that we can help diagnose? Otherwise, you're pretty much on your own - at the very least, you'll need to paste the response that's being generated from your SQL Server and the function that you're using to try to add it to the map.


    twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by kevin-berry Friday, July 15, 2011 9:39 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:48 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Well, pushpins work fine in my IE 64-bit ;) As you say, I doubt it's a Bing Maps issue as such, but probably some javascript somewhere that is being interpreted differently between browsers. Are you making an XmlHTTPRequest to get the data? That's a common place to find errors. Or, alternatively, are you passing the coordinates returned from the database to the Microsoft.Maps.Location constructor as strings rather than numbers - that's another common error.

    Can you post a link to your map so that we can help diagnose? Otherwise, you're pretty much on your own - at the very least, you'll need to paste the response that's being generated from your SQL Server and the function that you're using to try to add it to the map.


    twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by kevin-berry Friday, July 15, 2011 9:39 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:48 AM
    Moderator
  • Aha! Thanks for that tip. I went through my code and found that the issue was with my SQL statement. IE formats the date differently than the rest of the browsers, so my array of the date was wonky.

    Basically:

    IE8: Fri Jul 15 00:00:00 PDT 2011

    FIREFOX etc; Fri Jul 15 2011 00:00:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

    So I have to put a check in there I suppose to account for the discrepancy. Darn. Ah well.

     

    Thanks for the tip (i.e. if nothing happens, look at SQL Server output... silly me)!

    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:31 AM