Where is my Visual Studio Test Professional 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have downloaded and installed Visual Studio Test Professional 2012 but cannot find out how to launch it. It shows as installed in my Control Panel but can't find it for the life of me.  I am running Windows 8 and do have Visual Studio loaded.  I see the Test Manager but my understanding is that is a totally different product. I'm looking to use the UI Automation testing that is included with Test Professional.

Thank you for the help...

Friday, December 7, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi MADV,

Thanks for your post.

Do you have Visual Studio installed already? Actually, if you installed Test Professional 2012 over any version of Visual Studio 2012, it won't be a single product. Even if you only installed it without installing Visual Studio Pro or higher, it will only install a VS Shell for you.

Since you can find it from Control Panel, it has been installed on your OS. You should use those features by starting from Visual Studio.

To start your UI test, please open your VS2012 and choose File-> new project-> C# or VB coded UI test.

If you have met any error when installing this product, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Barry Wang Monday, December 10, 2012 4:48 AM Did notice customer can find if from Control Panel
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda ZhuModerator Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda ZhuModerator Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:05 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Hello MADV,

What about your issue now? Can you get useful
    information from Barry’s reply?

As far as I know, Visual Studio2012 Test Professional
    version does not support Coded UI test.

Please see:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/compare

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:07 AM

All replies

• Hi MADV,

Thanks for your post.

Do you have Visual Studio installed already? Actually, if you installed Test Professional 2012 over any version of Visual Studio 2012, it won't be a single product. Even if you only installed it without installing Visual Studio Pro or higher, it will only install a VS Shell for you.

Since you can find it from Control Panel, it has been installed on your OS. You should use those features by starting from Visual Studio.

To start your UI test, please open your VS2012 and choose File-> new project-> C# or VB coded UI test.

If you have met any error when installing this product, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Barry Wang

• Edited by Barry Wang Monday, December 10, 2012 4:48 AM Did notice customer can find if from Control Panel
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda ZhuModerator Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda ZhuModerator Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:05 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Hello MADV,

Have you resolved this issue? Could you get useful information from Barry's reply?

If you have resolved it, please mark the helpful reply as answer.

If not, please let us know the latest news about this issue and the result of our suggestion.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hello MADV,

What about your issue now? Can you get useful
    information from Barry’s reply?

As far as I know, Visual Studio2012 Test Professional
    version does not support Coded UI test.

Please see:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/compare

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks I really appreciate the response..I am still struggling to get it loaded even within the VS (I'm not seeing the UI Testing).  As far as Visual Studio2012 Test Professional supporting coded ui tests, I'm pretty sure it does. 

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-test-professional-2012#product-edition-testpro-details

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hello MADV,

Glad to receive your reply.

As Barry said, if you have installed Test Professional 2012 over any version of Visual Studio 2012, it won't be a single product. And the features of Test Professional will be added in the previous VS. You can start the previous VS and start the Coded UI test (if the previous VS is Ultimate or Premium). If you just installed it alone, I think that you should not do Coded UI test with Visual Studio 2012 Test Professional. Only Ultimate and Premium version can support Coded UI test.

For more and detailed information, you can refer to the following article having the similar issue about the video link of Test Professional 2012:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vststest/thread/3c73dacb-81b4-4ca6-aeeb-fedf6759072e

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:37 AM