Trials and Tribulations of Time Tracker RRS feed

• Question

• User870110914 posted
    On the same day that ASP.Net 2.0 left beta, my hosting company made 2.0 hosting packages available. In my excitement to work with some of the new functionality, I immediately upgraded my account. From there, I downloaded and installed the new Time Tracker application. I had been using the previous 1.1 version for some time but found it had some shortcomings. I was hoping that the new version would be somewhat improved. However, I found that in some instances, it is actually less functional and the functionality that is there isn't without its problems. So, this post is an attempt to share some of the issues and solutions I encountered over these past two days.

==================
    Installation
    ==================

Installation was actually pretty easy. I downloaded the app from the link on this site. I made sure to change the extension from .VSI to .ZIP. I then extracted the files. Then I uploaded the following files and folders to my hosted web site.

/App_Code/
    /TimeTracker/
    Default.aspx
    Default.aspx.vb
    Global.asax
    web.config
    web.sitemap

Of course I needed to change the connection string to point to my hosted database so I updated the web.config file accordingly.

<connectionStrings>
            <add name="aspnet_staterKits_TimeTracker" connectionString="server=SERVERNAME;uid=USERNAME;pwd=PASSWORD;database=DATABASE" />
            <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
            <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="server=SERVERNAME;uid=USERNAME;pwd=PASSWORD;database=DATABASE" />
    </connectionStrings>

I then needed to get the database installed. In the downloaded files was an SQL script in the App_Data folder, timetracker-add.sql. I ran the script from Enterpise Manager and installed the database objects. This script does not install all of the necessary tables though! This version of the application makes use of some role management tables that need to be installed seprately. To install these tables, you will need to run the following configuration tool from your desktop: C:\WINNT\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regsql.exe. You will need the information from your connection string to fill in the prompts.

I was then ready to go.

==================
    First Impressions
    ==================

I created a new user by pointing my browser to TimeTracker\user_create.aspx. The first thing I noticed was that the security was pretty strict. It requires a password with a length of 7 and at least one non-alphanumeric symbol. Plus, you have to have a security question/answer. Because the creation of users, in my scenario, will be centralized I didn't have any need for a security question or non-alphanumeric symbols. I added the following to the <system.web> section of the web.config file.

<membership>
                <providers>
                    <remove name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" />
                        <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
                                  type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
                                  connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"
                                  enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
                                  enablePasswordReset="true"
                                  requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
                                  applicationName="/"
                                  requiresUniqueEmail="false"
                                  minRequiredPasswordLength="6"
                                  minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
                                  passwordFormat="Hashed"
                                  maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
                                  passwordAttemptWindow="10"
                                  passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" />
                  </providers>

Much better. So, I then went through and created the rest of my users. The first thing you will notice is that there is no name field, only a username. I didn't think much about it at first until I created my first project and the list of team members was done my username. Not very friendly. Anyway, moving on.

==================
    Create New Project
    ==================

Creating a project follows almost the same process and in the ASP.NET  1.1 version of the application. The layout is different, but the concepts are the same. You input general information about the project, pick team members, and add categories of work to be done. Pretty straight forward. However, I ran into a problem with the BLL code from Projects.vb. It seems the split method has changed. You will need to search this file for "split" (should occur twice) and change the code to:

ProjectIds.Split(separator, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries)

==================
    Edit Project
    ==================
    In order to delete a Category from a project, you will need to change the BLL file Category.VB. Apply the same logic to get UpdateCategory to work, too.

OLD:
    Public Shared Function DeleteCategory(ByVal id As Integer, ByVal originalId As Integer) As Boolean

If originalId <= DefaultValues.GetCategoryIdMinValue() Then
                    Throw (New ArgumentOutOfRangeException("originalId"))
                End If

Return DataAccessHelper.GetDataAccess().DeleteCategory(originalId)

End Function

NEW:
    Public Shared Function DeleteCategory(ByVal id As Integer) As Boolean

If Id <= DefaultValues.GetCategoryIdMinValue() Then
                    Throw (New ArgumentOutOfRangeException("Id"))
                End If

Return DataAccessHelper.GetDataAccess().DeleteCategory(Id)

End Function

==================
    List Projects
    ==================

My users don't need to see the generated project ID. Our ID is embedded in the names of the project so I wanted to remove the project ID from the GridView.

OLD
    <asp:BoundField DataField="Id" Visible=true />

NEW
    <asp:BoundField DataField="Id" Visible="false" />   --- or you could delete this line completely like I did.

I then wanted to remove the time from the "Completion" column, especially since it is always midnight.

OLD
    <asp:BoundField DataField="CompletionDate" HeaderText="Completion" DataFormatString="{0:d}" SortExpression="CompletionDate" />

NEW
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Completion Date" SortExpression="CompletionDate">
        <ItemTemplate><%# String.Format("{0:d}", Convert.ToDateTime(Eval("CompletionDate"))) %></ItemTemplate> 
    </asp:TemplateField>

Next, I was unable to delete a project. Whenever the sub ListAllProjects_RowDeleting() was called (that is, whenever you hit the delete button) it would throw an error at the following line in the code-behind.:

e.Keys.Add("Id", ListAllProjects.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(0).Text)

It seems it was trying to add an ID to the row, but the ID was already there. I simply deleted this line.

Now the delete function worked fine (although I haven't checked the DB to make sure all of the staff and hours were deleted, too). I then added a confirmation dialogue box to the delete button.

OLD
    <asp:CommandField ShowDeleteButton="True" HeaderText="Delete" DeleteImageUrl="images/icon-delete.gif" ButtonType="Image" />

NEW
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Delete">
        <ItemTemplate>
            <asp:ImageButton ID="btnDelete" ImageUrl="images/icon-delete.gif" OnClientClick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to delete this project?');" CommandName="Delete" Runat="server" />
            </ItemTemplate>

==================
    Log (entering time)
    ==================

It is when I got to this page that I began to think I was losing my mind. At first glance, this page looked the same as the previous version, but in reality it acted totally different. Maybe some people might like the new direction, but it didn't do what I needed at all. Now, the following steps may have indeed bastardized the application and over time I may find a better way to accomplish what I needed, but this is what I came up with in the first 48 hours.

1. No default date value -- I like to enter as little data as possible. So, I wanted the "Day" field to be pre-populated with today's date. After all, if I'm a good little programmer, I will enter my time daily so my project manager doesn't hassle me. So in TimeEntry.aspx.vb I made the following change.

If (Not Page.IsPostBack) Then
                WeekEnding2.text = DateTime.Now.ToString("MM/dd/yyyy")
                 '  rest of the code
    End If

I also changed the label "Day" to "Date" in the corresponding APSX page. Afterall, it is the whole date.

2. Why can I see all of the projects? Well it turns out because I am a Project Administrator, I can see all of the projects, not just the ones I am assigned to. Very confusing to the user; I don't want people trying to bill time to a project they aren't assigned to. So in TimeEntry.aspx.vb I made the following change.

If (Not Page.IsPostBack) Then
         ' I don't think people should see projects they don't have a role on so I deleted the code here that is commented out.    
        ' If (Page.User.IsInRole("ProjectAdministrator") OrElse Page.User.IsInRole("ProjectManager")) Then
         '           UserList.DataSourceID = "ProjectMembers"

'          If Page.User.IsInRole("ProjectAdministrator") Then
          '              ProjectData.SortParameterName = "sortParameter"
          '             ProjectData.SelectMethod = "GetAllProjects"
          '          ElseIf Page.User.IsInRole("ProjectManager") Then

''              ProjectData.SelectParameters.Add(New Parameter("userName", TypeCode.String, Page.User.Identity.Name))
          '              ProjectData.SortParameterName = "sortParameter"
          '              ProjectData.SelectMethod = "GetProjectsByManagerUserName"
          '          End If

'      Else

ProjectData.SelectParameters.Add(New Parameter("userName", TypeCode.String, Page.User.Identity.Name))
                    ProjectData.SelectMethod = "GetProjectsByUserName"

UserList.Items.Add(Page.User.Identity.Name)

' End If
        ' rest of code

Now, I only get my own projects.

3. Why can I see other people's time entries? I didn't like this feature in the previous version. If you are an admin of any type, you can select a different team member and see their time. You can also enter time for them! Dangerous waters to tread in. So in TimeEntry.aspx I just commented out that dropdown list box.

<!-- <asp:DropDownList ID="UserList" runat="server" AutoPostBack="True" CssClass="username" /> -->

I also changed the text from "Time entries for:" to "Time Entries:" since my users can't change this anymore.

4. Why do my time entries change when I change projects? If you go through and enter time on various projects, you will notice that the entries that appear on the right side of the screen only appear for the currently selected project. I don't find this very useful. I need to see all of my hours for today to see what I have entered in already. I don't want to have to flip from project to project. After a little investigation I found that this GridView is populated by the "GetTimeEntries" select method. This method takes two parameters: projectId and userName. There is no regard for date. This is an interesting approach. This new paradigm moves the focus from the individual to the project. I needed something more closely related to the previous version though. I changed the select method on the GridView from "GetTimeEntries" to "GetTimeEntriesByUserNameAndDates." Like its name implies, this takes three parameters: userName, startingDate, and endDate. My ideas is to get only the entries I have made for a certain date; specifically, the date that is selected from the calendar and copied to the page. The new parameters become:

<SelectParameters>
                    <asp:ControlParameter Name="userName" ControlID="UserList" PropertyName="SelectedValue" Type="String" />
                    <asp:ControlParameter Name="startingDate" ControlID="WeekEnding2" PropertyName="Text" Type="DateTime" />
                    <asp:ControlParameter Name="endDate" ControlID="WeekEnding2" PropertyName="Text" Type="DateTime" />
    </SelectParameters>

5. Why do the time entries show the date I recorded the entry but not the day I did the work? This is baffling to me. Why do I care when I entered my time? Moreover, when was the work actually done? If you look in the code-behind page you see that it works the way it was intended. "DateTime.Now" is passed to the database. Well, maybe the selected date is passed too and it just doesn't show? Nope. The current date is the only date passed to the DB. I simply changed "DateTime.Now" to "WeekEnding2.Text" in the code-behind.

Dim timeEntry As TimeEntry = New TimeEntry(Page.User.Identity.Name, Convert.ToInt32(CategoryList.SelectedValue), Convert.ToDecimal(Hours.Text), WeekEnding2.Text, UserList.SelectedValue)

Of course, now I don't need to see a time. Thus,

OLD:
    <asp:Parameter Name="ReportedDate" Type="DateTime" />

becomes...

NEW:
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Date">
                    <ItemTemplate><%# String.Format("{0:d}", Convert.ToDateTime(Eval("ReportedDate"))) %></ItemTemplate> 

I also deleted the iD column. Users don't care or need to see this.

NOTE: I did break something here and I don't know how. After these changes, the BLL code for TimeEntry.vb began throwing an error. I had to comment out the following lines:

' If duration <= DefaultValues.GetDurationMinValue() Then
                '    Throw New ArgumentOutOfRangeException("duration")
    'End If

The best I can tell is that this checks to make sure there is more than zero hours submitted. I'm not really concerned though because of the validation done before submission. BTW, I had to turn the validation ON! TimeEntry.apsx should read:

<asp:Button ID="AddEntry" runat="server" CssClass="submit" CausesValidation="True" Text="Add Entry" ValidationGroup="newEntry" />

==================
    Log (editing entries)
    ==================

I wanted a little bit more control over the editing, so I used Template fields. It sill needs some work though. How would you add dropdowns for the categories? Also, I can't get the date to validate; any thoughts welcome.

OLD:
    <Columns>
            <asp:BoundField DataField="Id" HeaderText="Id" ReadOnly=true />
            <asp:BoundField DataField="CategoryName" HeaderText="CategoryName"  />
            <asp:BoundField DataField="Description" HeaderText="Description" />
            <asp:BoundField DataField="Duration" HeaderText="Duration" />
            <asp:BoundField DataField="ReportedDate" HeaderText="ReportedDate" DataFormatString="{0:d}" />
            <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" HeaderText="Edit" ButtonType="Image" EditImageUrl="images/icon-edit.gif"                                            UpdateImageUrl="images/icon-save.gif" CancelImageUrl="images/icon-cancel.gif" />
            <asp:CommandField ShowDeleteButton="True" HeaderText="Delete" DeleteImageUrl="images/icon-delete.gif"
                ButtonType="Image" />
    </Columns>

NEW:
    <Columns>
           <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Project">
                   <ItemTemplate><%# Eval("ProjectName") %></ItemTemplate>
            <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Category">
                    <ItemTemplate><%# Eval("CategoryName") %></ItemTemplate>
            <EditItemTemplate>
                     <asp:TextBox ID="Category2" Text='<%# Bind("CategoryName") %>' runat="server" Visible="False" /><%# Eval("CategoryName") %>
           </EditItemTemplate>
           <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Description">
                  <ItemTemplate><%# Eval("Description") %></ItemTemplate>
                   <EditItemTemplate>
                       <asp:TextBox ID="Description2" Text='<%# Bind("Description") %>' runat="server" Columns="30" MaxLength="200" /><br />
                            <asp:CustomValidator ID="CustomValidator2" runat="server" ControlToValidate="Description2" ErrorMessage="Description must be less than 200 characters" />
                    </EditItemTemplate>
                                <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Hours">
                    <ItemTemplate><%# Eval("Duration") %></ItemTemplate>
                    <EditItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="Hours2" runat="server" Columns="4" MaxLength="5" Text='<%# Bind("Duration") %>' /><br />
                        <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="reqHours2" runat="server" ErrorMessage="Hours is a required value." ControlToValidate="Hours2" Display="Dynamic" />
                                    <asp:CompareValidator ID="CompareValidator2" runat="server" ErrorMessage="Hours must be a decimal value." ControlToValidate="Hours2" Type="Currency" Operator="DataTypeCheck" Display="Dynamic" />
                                    <asp:RangeValidator ID="RangeValidator2" runat="server" ErrorMessage="Hours is out of range." ControlToValidate="Hours2" MaximumValue="24" MinimumValue="0" Type="Double" />
                               </EditItemTemplate>
                    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Date">
                    <ItemTemplate><%# String.Format("{0:d}", Convert.ToDateTime(Eval("ReportedDate"))) %></ItemTemplate> 
                    <EditItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="ReportedDate" runat="server" Text='<%# String.Format("{0:d}", Convert.ToDateTime(Eval("ReportedDate"))) %>' Visible="False" Columns="8" MaxLength="10" /><%# String.Format("{0:d}", Convert.ToDateTime(Eval("ReportedDate"))) %>
                    </EditItemTemplate>
                                <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" HeaderText="Edit" ButtonType="Image" EditImageUrl="images/icon-edit.gif" UpdateImageUrl="images/icon-save.gif" CancelImageUrl="images/icon-cancel.gif" />
                                <asp:CommandField ShowDeleteButton="True" HeaderText="Delete" DeleteImageUrl="images/icon-delete.gif" ButtonType="Image" />
    </Columns>

=============================================
    That's my first 48 hours with the app. A little frustrating but fun at the same time. I think this is all of the changes I can do without touching the database. I am heading there next though. Things I think need to be done still include:
    • adding FirstName and LastName fields to the user profiles,
    • turn on the "Copy Categories" function when creating a new project,
    • changing all of the user lists to show FirstName LastName (or LastName, FirstName) instead of username,
    • add the functionality to update a user (the skeleton code seems to be there but it wasn't implemented?),
    • the Resource Report list the users multiple times, it should only list each person once; possible remove projects from the page entirely, and
    • change the layout of  some pages.
    Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone. I will post my updates to this topic over time. It will also become an article over at my web site when I have time.

Later,
    Chris W.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:24 PM

All replies

• User1650120379 posted
    This was very helpful.  I spent a few hours correcting issues that I found while playing with the time tracker today.  Some of the things I had found already, but you sure sped up the rest for me.

Here's another one for you:  I setup the database with the sql script and encountered an error while logging hours.  The data type for the 'TimeEntryDuration' field in 'aspnet_starterkits_TimeEntry' table was decimal(18,0).  When the hours were entered as .25 hours, the database would log it as 0 which causes an error when displaying the hours list.  Simply change the data type to decimal(18,2) to fix.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:12 PM
  • User1459339642 posted
    Heres how i fixed the Resource Report list. In Project.vb, change the second GetProjectMembers function from this:

Public Shared Function GetProjectMembers(ByVal userNames As String) As List(Of String)
                For Each str As String In substrings
                    Dim Id As Integer = CInt(str)
                    Dim tempList As List(Of String) = Project.GetProjectMembers(Id)
                    For Each userName As String In tempList
                            list.Add(userName)
                    Next userName
                Next str

To This:

Public Shared Function GetProjectMembers(ByVal userNames As String) As List(Of String)
                Dim DoIAdd As Boolean
                        DoIAdd = True
                        For Each tstName As String In list
                            If tstName = userName Then
                                DoIAdd = False
                            End If
                        Next tstName
                        If DoIAdd Then
                            list.Add(userName)
                        End If
                    Next userName
                Next str

----------------------------------------

The copy button is also a pretty easy fix. Just enable the button; the code already works.

Thursday, December 1, 2005 3:34 AM
  • User870110914 posted
    Heres how i fixed the Resource Report list. In Project.vb, change the second GetProjectMembers function from this:

list.Add(userName)
                    Next userName
                Next str

To This:

Dim DoIAdd As Boolean
                        DoIAdd = True
                        For Each tstName As String In list
                            If tstName = userName Then
                                DoIAdd = False
                            End If
                        Next tstName
                        If DoIAdd Then
                            list.Add(userName)
                        End If
                    Next userName
                Next str

----------------------------------------

The copy button is also a pretty easy fix. Just enable the button; the code already works.

I took a little different approach. I changed the way that Staff listbox is populated. I just get everyone, regardless of the projects they are assigned to.

OLD CODE BEHIND
    UserData.SelectParameters.Add(New Parameter("userNames", TypeCode.String, BuildValueList(ProjectList.Items, False)))
    UserData.SelectMethod = "GetProjectMembers"

NEW CODE BEHIND
    UserData.SelectParameters.Add(New Parameter("roleName", TypeCode.String, "Consultant"))
    UserData.SelectMethod = "GetUsersInRole"

OLD ASPX
    <asp:ObjectDataSource ID="UserData" runat="server" TypeName="ASPNET.StarterKit.BusinessLogicLayer.Project" />

NEW ASPX
    <asp:ObjectDataSource ID="UserData" runat="server" TypeName="System.Web.Security.Roles" />

BTW, I deleted the first list box completely since it doesn't really do anything.
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 5:57 PM
  • User1459339642 posted
    You also have to fix the precision in the stored procedures:

aspnet_starterkits_CreateNewTimeEntry
    aspnet_starterkits_UpdateTimeEntry

@TimeEntryEstimateDuration DECIMAL,
    To:
    @TimeEntryEstimateDuration DECIMAL(18,2),

If you want to do higher precision on the Project and Category entries, you need to update those tables and corresponding stored procedures, as well.
    Sunday, December 4, 2005 2:38 PM
  • User870110914 posted
    ==========================
    Calendar
    =========================

Having to press a button to select the date in the pop-up calendar is one more click then the user should have to make. So, I changed this to be more of a "traditional" pop-up calendar in that the date is set when the user clicks on a day.

To Calendar.aspx.vb, I added this procedure:

Private Sub DatePicker_DayRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DayRenderEventArgs) Handles Cal.DayRender

Dim hl As New HyperLink()
            hl.Text = CType(e.Cell.Controls(0), LiteralControl).Text
            hl.NavigateUrl = "javascript:window.opener.SetControlValue('" & _controlToEdit & "','" & e.Day.Date.ToShortDateString() & "','" & Me.IsPostBack & "');"
            e.Cell.Controls.Clear()
            e.Cell.Controls.Add(hl)

End Sub

Then I delete the buttons from the form:
     <br />
                        <table>
                            <tr>
                                <td valign="middle" colspan="2">
                                    Date Selected:
                                    <asp:Label ID="lblDate" runat="server">
                                    </asp:Label>
                                    <input id="datechosen" type="hidden" name="datechosen" runat="server">
                                </td>
                            </tr>
                            <tr>
                                <td valign="middle">
                                    <asp:Button ID="OKButton" runat="server" Text="OK"  CssClass="button" />
                                <td valign="middle">
                                    <asp:Button ID="CancelButton" runat="server" Text="Cancel" OnClientClick="javascript:self.close()" CssClass="button" />
                                </td>
                            </tr>
                        </table>

I also wanted to get rid of some of the dead space created by the removal of the buttons. So, I changed the script.js file to this:

function OpenPopupPage (pageUrl, controlID, isPostBack)
    {
        popUp=window.open(pageUrl+'?controlID='+controlID+'&isPostBack='+ isPostBack,'popupcal', 'width=250,height=225,left=200,top=250');
    }

Thursday, January 5, 2006 11:48 AM
  • User-445758669 posted

Could someone tell me if Time Tracker is currently able to do the following or if anyone has already done any of these:

1. Create a Client and then have mutliple Projects under that client

2. Enter time segments, description of work done and hourly rate for each time segment.

3. Print invoices for each client and have the Projects display on the Invoice and the hours, work done description, and rate billed for each time segment.

Thanking you in advance.

Friday, January 6, 2006 2:11 PM
  • User1245115166 posted

==================
    List Projects
    ==================

Next, I was unable to delete a project. Whenever the sub ListAllProjects_RowDeleting() was called (that is, whenever you hit the delete button) it would throw an error at the following line in the code-behind.:

It seems it was trying to add an ID to the row, but the ID was already there. I simply deleted this line.

Now the delete function worked fine (although I haven't checked the DB to make sure all of the staff and hours were deleted, too). I then added a confirmation dialogue box to the delete button.

OLD

NEW
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Delete">
        <ItemTemplate>
            <asp:ImageButton ID="btnDelete" ImageUrl="images/icon-delete.gif" OnClientClick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to delete this project?');" CommandName="Delete" Runat="server" />
            </ItemTemplate>

I found this on MSDN:

"Note: You must set the DataKeyNames property for the automatic updating and deleting features of the GridView control to work. The values of these key fields are passed to the data source control in order to match the row to update or delete."

So that's why the app was generating that error message; the key value has already been added bla bla etc etc.

So you can safely remove this:

<DeleteParameters>
                        <asp:Parameter Name="Id" Type="Int32" />
                    </DeleteParameters>

this:

OnRowDeleting="ListAllProjects_RowDeleting"

and this:

protected void ListAllProjects_RowDeleting(object sender, GridViewDeleteEventArgs e) {

e.Keys.Add("Id", ListAllProjects.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[0].Text);
        }

Greets,

PG
    Wednesday, March 8, 2006 8:41 PM
  • User-584251979 posted

anybody notice, that if a project manager, or project admin, goes and checks the reports by resource, they get a list of all timeentries, that the resource created for all projects.

Instead of just getting the time entries for the selected project?

Any ideas on a quick fix for this?

I have been playing with it, but I don't have a solution yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 10, 2006 4:23 PM
  • User-584251979 posted

never mind guys,

I made a bunch of changes, and included datestart,date end, as well as project ID as part of the parameters, and made it all work.

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:22 PM
  • User2067580637 posted

==================
    List Projects
    ==================

My users don't need to see the generated project ID. Our ID is embedded in the names of the project so I wanted to remove the project ID from the GridView.

OLD

NEW
    <asp:BoundField DataField="Id" Visible="false" />   --- or you could delete this line completely like I did.

I then wanted to remove the time from the "Completion" column, especially since it is always midnight.

OLD
    <asp:BoundField DataField="CompletionDate" HeaderText="Completion" DataFormatString="{0:d}" SortExpression="CompletionDate" />

NEW
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Completion Date" SortExpression="CompletionDate">
        <ItemTemplate><%# String.Format("{0:d}", Convert.ToDateTime(Eval("CompletionDate"))) %></ItemTemplate> 

I followed this and it does indeed delete the project but I don't think it clears the db because when I view a resource report the project name is gone but the hours are still there as well as the categories they were divided into. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks for this btw, it has been very helpful so far.

Chris L.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:10 AM
  • User2026837378 posted

In your item number 3 " Why can I see other people's time entries?"

If you delete the userlist the app is broken because other code is dependent on its selected item, you could replace it with a label and change the dependent code to ref the label.text prop. But also if you create your users with the lowest privledged role these users would not be able to select any other users time entries or projects they are not assigned to.

In your item number 5 "Why do the time entries show the date I recorded the entry but not the day I did the work?"

Where you changed the bound column for the ReportedDate field to a template so you could get rid of the time portion of the date, the edit functionality is broken by this.

Try this instead:

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="ReportedDate">

<EditItemTemplate>

<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("ReportedDate") %>'></asp:TextBox>

</EditItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("ReportedDate", "{0:d}") %>'></asp:Label>

</ItemTemplate>

And thanks for the tip on fixing the security settings in the webconfig that was driving me nuts.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 11:36 AM
  • User-1922397443 posted

==================
    List Projects
    ==================

To make sorting works

In Project.vb, Public Shared Function GetAllProjects(ByVal sortParameter As String) As List(Of Project)

change:

If String.IsNullOrEmpty(sortParameter) Then

To:

If  Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(sortParameter) Then

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:33 AM
  • User-798977591 posted

You must also update the stored procedure that creates a new TimeEntry.

CREATE PROCEDURE aspnet_starterkits_CreateNewTimeEntry
     @CategoryId      INT,
     @TimeEntryCreatorUserName  NVARCHAR(256),
     @TimeEntryDescription      NVARCHAR(1000),
     @TimeEntryEstimateDuration DECIMAL(18,2),
     @TimeEntryEnteredDate     DATETIME,
     @TimeEntryUserName         NVARCHAR(256)
    AS

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:03 PM
  • User-2087761027 posted

Anyone knows how to apply the foreign key constaints in the tables of aspnetdb from the timetracker database?

From the script, it has the foreign key relation between user table and project table.

Friday, July 14, 2006 2:20 AM
  • User1704170366 posted

==================
    List Projects
    ==================

OLD

NEW

OLD

NEW

I followed this and it does indeed delete the project but I don't think it clears the db because when I view a resource report the project name is gone but the hours are still there as well as the categories they were divided into. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks for this btw, it has been very helpful so far.

Chris L.

To completely remove the data from the DB, the stored procedure aspnet_starterkits_DeleteProject has to be changed to the following:

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[aspnet_starterkits_DeleteProject]

@ProjectIdToDelete INT

AS

DELETE FROM aspnet_starterkits_TimeEntry WHERE CategoryId = @ProjectIdToDelete

SELECT * FROM aspnet_starterkits_TimeEntry

DELETE FROM aspnet_starterkits_ProjectMembers WHERE ProjectId = @ProjectIdToDelete

SELECT * FROM aspnet_starterkits_ProjectMembers

DELETE FROM aspnet_starterkits_ProjectCategories WHERE ProjectId = @ProjectIdToDelete

SELECT * FROM aspnet_starterkits_ProjectCategories

DELETE FROM aspnet_starterkits_Projects WHERE ProjectId = @ProjectIdToDelete

SELECT * FROM aspnet_starterkits_Projects

This will reove all signs of the project including hours.

-John

Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:49 AM
  • User131913884 posted
    >>>>>>>>>>
    In your item number 3 " Why can I see other people's time entries?"

If you delete the userlist the app is broken because other code is dependent on its selected item, you could replace it with a label and change the dependent code to ref the label.text prop. But also if you create your users with the lowest privledged role these users would not be able to select any other users time entries or projects they are not assigned to.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I just set the Enabled property of the UserList drop-down box to False.  This is probably not the prettiest option, but definitely the quickest.

Monday, August 14, 2006 12:53 PM
  • User1764399441 posted

when i select a particular project in the resource report the consultants should change dynamically

means  only those consultants should appear which are assigned to that project by the administrator/ project manager .

can anyone solve my problem.

please mail the source code. 

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:54 AM
  • User555306248 posted

Yes, so that it can accept the hour in decimal format

no rounding problem ...

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:37 PM
  • User555306248 posted
    Correct...
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:22 AM
  • User-133182728 posted

Inserting amount of annual 'Leave' taken per employee might be a good idea. Does anyone know how to implement this?

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:15 PM
  • User-201295422 posted

First off let me say a "Huge Thanks!". Your postings made it possible for me to get this "starter kit" working.

In regard to the calendar update, I added your DatePicker_DayRender() function to the Calendar.aspx.vb. But it does not seem to be working for me. Is there somewhere I need to add code to call that function?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:56 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Whether you are getting error

Can you please port your code, So It will be more helpful to solve your issue

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:23 PM
  • User-201295422 posted

Problem went away, it now works GREAT! It must have been that I had not restarted the webapplication after making the mods. I am quite new to the asp.net/java programming. Your posting have been of the greatest help in getting me up and running. Thanks again.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:42 AM
  • User555306248 posted

Thats great [:)]

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:29 PM
  • User-1001485597 posted

Hi all,

On this timesheet tracker, how can I change the week ending date to something else?  at my company, our work week is from Thursday to Wednesday.  I can't find out a way to change the weekending date.  I'm using C#.

thank you very much

Friday, November 7, 2008 1:01 AM
  • User-1001485597 posted

in the time entry page, project List Gridview.  I would like to include the Project name column, how can I add it in?  would you please help me?

Thank you so much

Friday, November 7, 2008 10:19 PM
  • User555306248 posted

You will have to add new BoundField for that in List GridView

Refer GetAllProjects function to get all project names

Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:25 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Have you tried it

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:28 PM
  • User-1001485597 posted

no, I haven't tried it yet.  Coding for Time tracker is confusing  & I'm just a newbie, it's tough for me to modify it

Thanks

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:37 AM
  • User555306248 posted

Ok, After completing just update it , So it will help for other people 

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:23 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Great [Yes]

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:29 PM