Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1 RRS feed

• Question

• User130 posted

We've pushed Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1 to nuget. To install the pre-release, check the pre-release option in your nuget manager and install this version.

If you’ve got a bug to report, drop us a quick report here so we can troubleshoot in detail.

Important notes

• Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4 depends on a Xamarin installation of Cycle 8. Users upgrading from Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3 (or earlier) will experience numerous compile errors if they attempt to build without first upgrading their Xamarin installation.
    • When upgrading Xamarin.Forms, take care not to simply "update all" as that will update the Xamarin.Android.Support packages to an incompatible version. More info here.

2.3.4.184-pre1

For all the details, please read the release post here. There is SO much goodness in this release, it's actually too long for the forum.

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:53 AM

All replies

• User3516 posted

Why is this not a sticky thread?

edit: thanks for making it a sticky

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:08 PM
  • User279043 posted

Awesome release, should fix a lot of problems :) thanks! Unfortunately I can't update until this bug is fixed: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51238 (I'm still using XForms 2.3.2 because of this). Any chance you could look into this bug?

Friday, January 13, 2017 11:35 PM
  • User270617 posted

Strange we used the Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.171-pre1 before and now using the 184-pre1 as it fixed a bug we encountered with the 2.3.3.175 running the latest Cycle 8 version without any problems.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:17 AM
  • User118255 posted

@DavidOrtinau Can you confirm in this release if the xamrin.Form previewer problem is fixed or not? (As we discussed in your road map thread, in Visual Studio, a Mac is still needed for the previewer to work with Android)

Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:28 AM
  • User130 posted

@DominikWeber.1641 said: Awesome release, should fix a lot of problems :) thanks! Unfortunately I can't update until this bug is fixed: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51238 (I'm still using XForms 2.3.2 because of this). Any chance you could look into this bug?

Yes, will investigate.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:38 AM
  • User130 posted

@Vincentwx said: @DavidOrtinau Can you confirm in this release if the xamrin.Form previewer problem is fixed or not? (As we discussed in your road map thread, in Visual Studio, a Mac is still needed for the previewer to work with Android)

This pre-release of the Xamarin.Forms nuget package is unrelated to the Forms Previewer feature. The Forms Previewer is part of the Visual Studio tooling.

I have been and will continue to monitor that team's progress on the Forms Previewer very closely. I saw conflicting reports of success and failure during the last QA cycle this week. They are aware of the issue and working on it.

Once the Previewer feature goes from preview to stable feature release, it's going to be really amazing. Until then, the team needs time to work through these issues.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:52 AM
  • User130 posted

@ReinhardSchuerer said: Strange we used the Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.171-pre1 before and now using the 184-pre1 as it fixed a bug we encountered with the 2.3.3.175 running the latest Cycle 8 version without any problems.

I'm not sure I follow. You're good now or is there something we need to investigate and file a bug on?

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:54 AM
  • User270617 posted

No so far the prerelease is working better than the current stable version. I just found this thread from the 184 announcement and was just wondering about the "Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4 depends on a Xamarin installation of Cycle 9" as we so far hasn't encountered any problems with Cycle 8 with it.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:09 AM
  • User221964 posted

Oh..... no... Height of ContextAction in ListView problem came back again. (iOS - XF2.3.4.184-pre1) Why this is happening..

The problem was gone on XF2.3.3-SR1, and came back.

It ruins every UI for my ListView and fit to non-changable ContextAction height.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:03 AM
  • User221964 posted

The height of my viewcell fit to ContextAction's button height, which means ContextAction's height does not follow ViewCell's height.

As result, every UI of cell is ruined.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:06 AM
  • User221964 posted

It's reproduced on iPhone 5(actual device), iOS 10.2.

like this, unless I refresh my listview.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:21 AM
  • User251799 posted

I'm seeing there's still a hard dependency on the outdated 29.0.0.1 Google Play Services libraries for Forms.Maps, which makes it impossible to use Firebase instead of GCM. I cannot register a GCM key with Azure anymore because Google deprecated this back in September 2016. I think it was announced recently that those dependencies should completely go away, but if you keep them, those really should be bumped, at least to 29.0.0.2 (I think this has Firebase support).

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:39 AM
  • User130 posted

@BBright said: Oh..... no... Height of ContextAction in ListView problem came back again. (iOS - XF2.3.4.184-pre1) Why this is happening..

The problem was gone on XF2.3.3-SR1, and came back.

It ruins every UI for my ListView and fit to non-changable ContextAction height.

I'm searching Bugzilla and not finding a report matching your description. If you are aware of one, can you send me the number? Or please open one and share it with me. Thx.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:42 PM
  • User130 posted

@PhilippSumi said: I'm seeing there's still a hard dependency on the outdated 29.0.0.1 Google Play Services libraries for Forms.Maps, which makes it impossible to use Firebase instead of GCM. I cannot register a GCM key with Azure anymore because Google deprecated this back in September 2016. I think it was announced recently that those dependencies should completely go away, but if you keep them, those really should be bumped, at least to 29.0.0.2 (I think this has Firebase support).

Correct, in this pre-release that's still the way of things on Android. While it may seem like a no-brainer change that can be easily and quickly made, it unfortunately isn't. We very much want to address it, and as soon as we have a solution that satisfies related concerns, we'll rapidly implement it. I can't give you a timeframe, but stay tuned.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:53 PM
  • User221964 posted

@DavidOrtinau Hi, David. I don't know if it was on bugzila. But I reported few time on release posting.

before 2.3.3 - not happen until 2.3.3-pre4 - not happen 2.3.3 stable and 2.3.4-pre1 as well - happen firsttime And Xamarin.forms team said there is a issus at 2.3.3 stable and will release again. (at the same time, I tried 2.3.4-pre1, same result) 2.3.3-SR1 - problem was gone. 2.3.4.184-pre1(new release) - problem again here.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:06 PM
  • User251799 posted

@DavidOrtinau said:

@PhilippSumi said: I'm seeing there's still a hard dependency on the outdated 29.0.0.1 Google Play Services libraries for Forms.Maps, which makes it impossible to use Firebase instead of GCM. I cannot register a GCM key with Azure anymore because Google deprecated this back in September 2016. I think it was announced recently that those dependencies should completely go away, but if you keep them, those really should be bumped, at least to 29.0.0.2 (I think this has Firebase support).

Correct, in this pre-release that's still the way of things on Android. While it may seem like a no-brainer change that can be easily and quickly made, it unfortunately isn't. We very much want to address it, and as soon as we have a solution that satisfies related concerns, we'll rapidly implement it. I can't give you a timeframe, but stay tuned.

Thanks for the quick reply David! Given that our app relies on both maps and messaging, these issues threaten the viability of the whole XF platform from our perspective. When you say that you can't give a timeframe: This sounds like a rather distant fix - or is that still on the 2.3.4 or 2.4.0 roadmap? If not, we might have to consider a switch to native in order not to endanger our planned release date (or switch to a polling mechanism like the XF Bike Finder reference app, but that's just horrible ;).

Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:11 PM
  • User130 posted

@PhilippSumi said:

Thanks for the quick reply David! Given that our app relies on both maps and messaging, these issues threaten the viability of the whole XF platform from our perspective. When you say that you can't give a timeframe: This sounds like a rather distant fix - or is that still on the 2.3.4 or 2.4.0 roadmap? If not, we might have to consider a switch to native in order not to endanger our planned release date (or switch to a polling mechanism like the XF Bike Finder reference app, but that's just horrible ;).

I don't think anything on the feature roadmap for 2.4 really helps this specific situation. The Xamarin.Forms Embedding in 2.5 slated for sometime in May might, but that is a ways out there.

As soon as I can set a more helpful expectation re: the dependency issue, I will.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:10 PM
  • User130 posted

@BBright said: @DavidOrtinau Hi, David. I don't know if it was on bugzila. But I reported few time on release posting.

before 2.3.3 - not happen until 2.3.3-pre4 - not happen 2.3.3 stable and 2.3.4-pre1 as well - happen firsttime And Xamarin.forms team said there is a issus at 2.3.3 stable and will release again. (at the same time, I tried 2.3.4-pre1, same result) 2.3.3-SR1 - problem was gone. 2.3.4.184-pre1(new release) - problem again here.

Opened: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51536

Added you to the CC list. Would you please drop a code sample in there and any other details? If possible a project to reproduce it also.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:22 PM
  • User221964 posted

@DavidOrtinau Hi David, I just sent our project to you via message instead of upload sample project. You will find the problem when you run our project.

Thanks!

Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:06 PM
  • User211076 posted

I update to Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1 and I got these errors

The given key was not present in the dictionary

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Error The "ResolveLibraryProjectImports" task failed unexpectedly. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'Resto, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken='. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile? File name: 'Resto.dll' at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference reference, ReaderParameters parameters) at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(String fullName, ReaderParameters parameters) at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(String fullName) at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.GetAssembly(String fileName) at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveLibraryProjectImports.Extract(ICollection1 jars, ICollection1 resolvedResourceDirectories, ICollection1 resolvedAssetDirectories, ICollection1 resolvedEnvironments) at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveLibraryProjectImports.Execute() at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute() at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext() Resto.Droid

Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:44 PM
  • User337 posted

@mostafamarji I had the same error. I removed the xaml compilation ([assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)])

Sunday, January 15, 2017 5:48 PM
  • User211076 posted

@AndreasKlapperich thanks a lot you saved my time

Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:02 PM
  • User130379 posted

Now this is a sizable list of fixes. Glad you got around dealing with separators on android lists. Will check if it solves my issues later today. Keep up the good work.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:20 AM
  • User251799 posted

Regarding push notifications and FCM support: I got it to work with a completely new GCM setup:

• Created a new project in the Google API console
    • Enabled GCM and created an API key for it. Restricted the API key to my Android app.
    • Created a new Firebase project by importing the Google project
    • Registered the Firebase Server key (the new long one) in Azure Notification Hub

This now magically worked with a super minimal sample. I'm currently preparing the beta launch of our app for a local Microsoft conference, but hope that I'll get around to publish an updated step-by-step tutorial for XF developers by February. If anybody is running into this, ping me, I might have some snippets.

Monday, January 16, 2017 9:13 AM
  • User113114 posted

@AndreasKlapperich said: @mostafamarji I had the same error. I removed the xaml compilation ([assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)])

That is not really a solution since you probably want to use XamlCompilation. I also had this issue, a hard clean (delet bin & obj folders, restart vs) solved it for me.

Monday, January 16, 2017 10:15 AM
  • User211076 posted

@BjornB I already try your solution but it didn't work

Monday, January 16, 2017 10:34 AM
  • User113114 posted

@mostafamarji said: @BjornB I already try your solution but it didn't work

you could also take a look at yout project.csproj and do a manual clean of old versions of xamarin forms

Monday, January 16, 2017 12:33 PM
  • User57869 posted

I saw that XF 2.3.4 came out and it requires Cycle 9. So I switched from stable to the beta channel on Windows and Mac and installed XamarinVS 4.3.0.550.

Then I tried to upgrade XF from 2.3.2.127 to 2.3.4.184-pre1 and got a bunch of these errors:

App.xaml : error : The given key was not present in the dictionary. VMwareConnectionPage.xaml(46,7): error : Position 46:7. No property, bindable property, or event found for 'Icon'

The first one comes in 3 xaml files but I don't get more information. No red line (and no intellisense) anywhere in the files (in VS2015).

The second error comes every time I try to use a ToolbarItem.Icon like this:

<ToolbarItem Text="OpenSettings" Command="{Binding OpenSettingsCommand}"
         Priority="{x:Static common:Numbers.ToolbarItemPriority1}"
         Icon="{x:Static common:Images.Settings}" />

When I reverted to XF 2.3.3.180, then the errors "The given key was not present in the dictionary." were gone but the ToolbarItem.Icon errors were still there. The same with 2.3.3.152-pre2. Only when I went back to 2.3.2.127 then everything worked smooth again.

When I removed XamlC, then the solution got compiled but the app crashes on start (only tried with 2.3.4.184-pre1).

I already posted the problem with ToolbarItem.Icon back in November but it seems nobody read it. I did get a like for it, so obviously somebody else did hit the same problem.

Monday, January 16, 2017 4:33 PM
  • User139040 posted

@MichaelRumpler Same! We have just forked 2.3.2.127 and stayed with it. Each release since then has XAMLC errors amongst many other problems. Anything above 2.3.2.127 and we had to remove every event from XAML and then other errors kept coming up so we just reverted back to our build until the issues are solved.

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:39 PM
  • User258 posted

I work in a team of 4 on a big forms project. We went cycle 9 and 2.3.4 this morning but soon went back to 2.3.2.127 again. I even had to go back to stable .

We're also contemplating forking forms on 2.3.2.127 and adding our own fixes.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:26 PM
  • User76049 posted

Has some bug fixes we need but can't look at is. Cycle 9 in breaks Android and VS2015 Xamarin integration for Android and iOS on my machine :neutral:

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:33 PM
  • User139040 posted

@void our fixes were in XAMLC but I have a feeling they ended up overhauling the entire XAMLC which is why were seeing so many issues.

EDIT: To add we saw a ton of changes in the xaml readers and such to be clearer on that.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:56 PM
  • User130 posted

@BradChase.2654 said: @void our fixes were in XAMLC but I have a feeling they ended up overhauling the entire XAMLC which is why were seeing so many issues.

EDIT: To add we saw a ton of changes in the xaml readers and such to be clearer on that.

There is definitely a lot of working being done in XAMLC to make sure we support nearly everything XAML in Forms supports. I wouldn't use the phrase overhaul, but that's semantics.

@void @BradChase.2654 @MichaelRumpler @mostafamarji have you logged bug reports for those xamlc issues? I want to make sure we have those documented please. Then I can track and follow up on them.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?product=Forms

@void said: I work in a team of 4 on a big forms project. We went cycle 9 and 2.3.4 this morning but soon went back to 2.3.2.127 again. I even had to go back to stable .

We're also contemplating forking forms on 2.3.2.127 and adding our own fixes.

@void thanks for giving it a look, but wise choice backing it down. These are definitely pre-release. Any repro details you can log for us would be greatly appreciated. While forking is always an option, we need to get these things documented and addressed so that's not necessary to get stability.

Anything I can do to help everyone document and makes sure we have reproducible samples, I'm on it. I'm pulling up all my projects and switching over to C9 and 2.3.4.184-pre1 and logging bugs as well.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:20 PM
  • User130 posted

@NMackay said: Has some bug fixes we need but can't look at is. Cycle 9 in breaks Android and VS2015 Xamarin integration for Android and iOS on my machine :neutral:

You can get away with Cycle 8 and 2.3.4.184-pre1 if you wish to check it out that way. We do however need to be testing with Cycle 9 as that is the future.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:23 PM
  • User139040 posted

@DavidOrtinau When this one gets fixed that I put in in october then I will upgrade again and start putting all the new bugs in bugzilla but it makes no sense for us to upgrade right now just to test other bugs.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45179

Thanks for understanding!

EDIT: Also I wanted to note on the XAMLC changes. I have tracked that code for awhile for porting it into a portable library so XAMLC(and XAML) can be used in Monogame and other game screens. I can tell you the code looks like a massive overhaul. Its almost completely different than a year ago. Also I noticed alot of cleanup in the libraries with dependancies which was much appreciated.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:24 PM
  • User130 posted

@BradChase.2654 said: @DavidOrtinau When this one gets fixed that I put in in october then I will upgrade again and start putting all the new bugs in bugzilla but it makes no sense for us to upgrade right now just to test other bugs.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45179

Thanks for understanding!

EDIT: Also I wanted to note on the XAMLC changes. I have tracked that code for awhile for porting it into a portable library so XAMLC(and XAML) can be used in Monogame and other game screens. I can tell you the code looks like a massive overhaul. Its almost completely different than a year ago. Also I noticed alot of cleanup in the libraries with dependancies which was much appreciated.

I do understand, thanks.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:40 PM
  • User130 posted

Let me clarify the Cycle 8 vs Cycle 9 dependency issue here. After talking a length with the team, there is no Cycle 9 dependency and the release notes have been updated to reflect that.

That said, please review this pre-release on Cycle 8 AND if you're able to on Cycle 9. When logging any issues, be sure to note what you're running.

Thanks all! Great feedback.

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:47 PM
  • User57869 posted

@DavidOrtinau When I use https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?product=Forms to open a ticket, then I get a form where I can enter all the information. After submitting that form I'm redirected to bugzilla where I get the error:

You must select/enter a milestone.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:28 AM
  • User1004 posted

@BradChase.2654 I acknowledge the existence of the issue you reported regarding creating useless objects declared in DataTemplates, with both Xaml and XamlC. I'm working on it at this very moment.

But I fail to see how this is a blocker for you, o how this slows you down. DataTemplates are meant to be loaded a tremendous amount of times, so they should be pretty quick to instantiate, and one extra instantiation shouldn't matter at all. If it does, I suspect your ListView scrolling is quite painful...

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:04 AM
  • User57869 posted

I filed two bugs for these problems, both with repro projects.

51566: XamlC: Cannot use static ImageSource constants for ToolbarItem.Icon anymore 51567: XamlC: "The given key was not present in the dictionary." in some xaml files

The former is a regression in 2.3.3 and the latter in 2.3.4.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:30 AM
  • User130 posted

@MichaelRumpler said: @DavidOrtinau When I use https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?product=Forms to open a ticket, then I get a form where I can enter all the information. After submitting that form I'm redirected to bugzilla where I get the error:

You must select/enter a milestone.

That's a drag! The 2 you added you, were those through the other form or did you have to go to Bugzilla directly?

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:40 PM
  • User139040 posted

@StephaneDelcroix I appreciate that very much Stephane! I see why now that it appeared to not be a large issue. When DataTemplates are thought in terms of ListViews and ListViews only, then yea that's not a large deal. We don't actually use ListViews at all because of the early issues with them and the lacking ability for extension. We have built numerous controls including ones like a DataGrid that have cell's to be populated by templates, then they have drop down details (potentially) which are populated by DataTemplates because well one is dynamic and the other makes no sense to load say 20 views that if the user doesn't drop them down then its just taking up resources.

We also do a lot of data manipulation and entry which means our views can grow massively if we preloaded everything up front. We also have controls to do work like a view selector which can swap out views that use the same data OR not depending. This is needed for items where something can be quoted and then once they decide to use the quote they can turn it into a real item that then shows some new areas and hides old ones.

Some are what we call ManagePanels that take a set of data from a DataGrid or other list type views and have slide out panels that contain the details of the item(larger views), while this details view is reused for that specific data set, they are rather large. This happens even more so with alot of data sets if they were preloaded it could cause a massive slow down. For our views on post loading, load very quickly on android now WHEN we are not loading the entire ui tree multiple times when they open a view. Now some might argue we shouldn't have such a large application on Xamarin but I think the more Xamarin matures that these types of applications will be expected.

Also to note even with the multiple loading, iOS was just fine on speed.. now it was about 10x slower loading initially it was still relatively acceptable for the amount there. Android on the other hand was massively slow. It would take minutes with some views to load. After we took out the datatemplate loading at init, we went down to a few seconds. Thats a BIG jump! I know our case may be strange, but the larger applications get using Xamarin I think you will find DataTemplates being used more often than not.

Thanks! EDIT: Forgot to add we use templates in our tab controls for post loading on android.

EDIT: To add why it is blocking is we cant have developers sitting around for minutes to test one small part of a view. We also cant deploy with it and have our users sitting around for minutes loading a view. So for us we have to stay put until its fixed. To be clearer on that.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:07 PM
  • User57869 posted

@DavidOrtinau said: That's a drag! The 2 you added you, were those through the other form or did you have to go to Bugzilla directly?

I just used bugzilla.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:24 PM
  • User121325 posted

@StephaneDelcroix said: @BradChase.2654 I acknowledge the existence of the issue you reported regarding creating useless objects declared in DataTemplates, with both Xaml and XamlC. I'm working on it at this very moment.

Great to hear this. I just want to second @BradChase.2654 . We also use DataTemplates a lot (all our popups are created by using DataTemplates for instance) and having instantiated them all at startup (and that even nested if a control in a DataTemplate uses DataTemplates itself) is a problem especially with some controls who admittedly do too much in the constructor. For instance the converters in those controls are getting instantiated as well which leads to value conversions with a BindingContext wich is usally null at the time but still...

So we will be very happy if this is solved. :)

Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:14 AM
  • User1004 posted

@DannyWernicke it is fixed: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/683

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:07 AM
  • User121325 posted

@StephaneDelcroix said: @DannyWernicke it is fixed: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/683

Great. Thanks a lot. :)

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:37 AM
  • User113114 posted

@DavidOrtinau @TheRealJasonSmith Does this commit let us use Xamarin forms with newer android libs?
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/commit/fb024a6e62363af2b14e704c0559eb7a2f08c082

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:10 AM
  • User130 posted

@BjornB said: @DavidOrtinau @TheRealJasonSmith Does this commit let us use Xamarin forms with newer android libs?
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/commit/fb024a6e62363af2b14e704c0559eb7a2f08c082

Good eye! This is not in 2.3.4.184-pre1. As you can see from the nuspec, when you target framework 7.0 and above you can use API 23 and up, otherwise projects are still capped at 23.

We are still testing this and working through any issues. When it's released, we'll provide clear guidance, and make a big hoopla.

I'll see if I can get the Roadmap updated today with an ETA.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:24 PM
  • User56686 posted

In UWP the Picker is broken if used with ItemsSource: No items get displayed. In 2.3.3.180 it works as expected. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51642

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:38 PM
  • User56686 posted

In UWP the top bar of a NavigationPage cannot be hidden (NavigationPage.SetHasNavigationBar(page, false)) Experienced from 2.3.3+. With 2.3.2.127 it was all fine. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51646

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:53 PM
  • User130 posted

@David.Rettenbacher said: In UWP the Picker is broken if used with ItemsSource: No items get displayed. In 2.3.3.180 it works as expected. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51642

Thanks David. I replied on the ticket.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:11 PM
  • User176749 posted

@AndreasKlapperich said: @mostafamarji I had the same error. I removed the xaml compilation ([assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)])

why would you remove it? I thought that it is important make things running faster. Isnt it a bug if it doesnt work with it, instead of workaround by removing it

Friday, January 20, 2017 4:47 PM
  • User27205 posted

In UWP MasterDetailpage Icon is missing

Friday, January 20, 2017 7:57 PM
  • User337 posted

@batmaci

If you use alpha, beta or pre versions, some things may not work as you and the developer expected. So you need a temporary workaround for this and that is the time where you send a bug report to the developer.

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:40 PM
  • User176749 posted

Anybody tested Android Start up time Performance. Does it loaded faster now?

Sunday, January 22, 2017 11:16 AM
  • User51906 posted

@DavidOrtinau I'm experiencing an issue with the Button control. You can see the problem in the attached screenshot. Is this a known bug? I'm not doing anything special here. Adding an Image and Binding the TextProperty to my model.

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:40 AM
  • User130 posted

@RaphaelSchindler said: @DavidOrtinau I'm experiencing an issue with the Button control. You can see the problem in the attached screenshot. Is this a known bug? I'm not doing anything special here. Adding an Image and Binding the TextProperty to my model.

I'm not able to reproduce what you're showing in that image (vertical alignment of image and text offset from background and seeming to overflow). If that works as expected in 2.3.3.180 but is different in 2.3.4.184-pre1, then open a bug report. Otherwise, I'd recommend starting a new thread in the Xamarin.Forms forum and provide more complete code reference for help.

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:24 PM
  • User130 posted

@batmaci said: Anybody tested Android Start up time Performance. Does it loaded faster now?

You're volunteering then right? :) Please let us know what you find.

This is still a work in progress. We're continuing to identify additional gains and make those changes.

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:25 PM
  • User51906 posted

@DavidOrtinau

I'm not able to reproduce what you're showing in that image (vertical alignment of image and text offset from background and seeming to overflow). If that works as expected in 2.3.3.180 but is different in 2.3.4.184-pre1, then open a bug report. Otherwise, I'd recommend starting a new thread in the Xamarin.Forms forum and provide more complete code reference for help.

It's happening in 2.3.3 and 2.3.4. I'm gonna create a test project and take a deeper look. If I create a new thread should I ping you from there so you can keep track?

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:28 PM
  • User130 posted

@AngelCalvas said: In UWP MasterDetailpage Icon is missing

I have a MasterDetailPage project and my icon is present in UWP.

Is the same project working as expected in 2.3.3.180 for you? What about iOS and/or Android? If so, go ahead an open an issue for us please.

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:32 PM
  • User130 posted

@RaphaelSchindler yes please. Thanks!

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:33 PM
  • User113114 posted

Added a new bug https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51703 MessagingCenter.Unsubscribe unsubbs all instances that ever subscribed to the message. It came in this release. It is very detailed and easy to understand and ofc a project attached. @DavidOrtinau have a look, and as allways fix it asap :)

Monday, January 23, 2017 2:13 PM
  • User113114 posted

@DavidOrtinau said:

@RaphaelSchindler said: @DavidOrtinau I'm experiencing an issue with the Button control. You can see the problem in the attached screenshot. Is this a known bug? I'm not doing anything special here. Adding an Image and Binding the TextProperty to my model.

Does this happen on a device also? i see this in the VS emulator sometimes. But never on a device

Monday, January 23, 2017 2:31 PM
  • User27205 posted

@DavidOrtinau said:

@AngelCalvas said: In UWP MasterDetailpage Icon is missing

I have a MasterDetailPage project and my icon is present in UWP.

Is the same project working as expected in 2.3.3.180 for you? What about iOS and/or Android? If so, go ahead an open an issue for us please

Android is working fine, cant test iOS, It was showing before all I did was update Xamarin.Forms

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:26 PM
  • User51906 posted

@BjornB It happened on both, device and emulator. @DavidOrtinau I found the issue. If the BindingContext of the Button.TextProperty is null and the BindingContext gets initialized then the button gets redrawn and the Layout is as shown in my screenshot.

The more complex answer ;)

In my app I have an object called Contact which has a Property called ContractList from type ObservableCollection<Contract>(); The ContractList doesn't get initialized on the start of the app since I wanted to load the data, when the user clicks on the Contact. This is done in a ListView where I set the BindingContext of the DetailView to the selected Contact.

Looks like this:

listView.ItemTapped += async (sender, args) => { var contact = args.Item as Contact; await Navigation.PushAsync(new ContactDetailView {BindingContext = contact}); }

In the DetailView im hooking into the OnBindingContextChanged() and load the Contracts. Here's where the error happens. I want to show a Button that has an Image and the amount of Contracts that the Contact has.

So my Binding looks like this:

contractsButton.SetBinding(Button.TextProperty, new Binding("Contracts.Count"));

So the Solution is pretty simple. I just have to initialize the Contracts in the constructor of the object

public Contact() { Contracts = new ObservableCollection<Contract>(); }

EDIT: After thinking about how it's going on internally in Forms, this makes complete sense. If the Button text get's initialized with null there is no space wasted for it. There's just a small bug in the redrawing I think and I don't think that should be a high priority.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:04 AM
  • User251799 posted

@DavidOrtinau Is a pre2 release planned for 2.3.4 soon? I'm seeing a lot of the NullReferenceExceptions in VisualElement Finalize(), and looking at the PR that mentions those wonder whether those are really fixed. This is also a show stopper on releasing anything right now.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:31 PM
  • User14244 posted

@DavidOrtinau said:

@batmaci said: Anybody tested Android Start up time Performance. Does it loaded faster now?

You're volunteering then right? :) Please let us know what you find.

This is still a work in progress. We're continuing to identify additional gains and make those changes.

I am noticing some big improvements. I ran into a XamlC issue so can't fully tell yet.

The XamlC bug was reported fixed so awaiting Pre2 before doing any further tests.

Hopefully Pre 2 comes soon ;)

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:33 PM
  • User103299 posted

I'm getting the following exceptions on every form in my Universal Windows App with this beta. No issues with Android or iOS, just UWP. This all started with release 2.3.3.x. I have no problems with 2.3.2.127.

Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEMessageException at memory location 0x0757CDC4. Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000.

The address of the first exception changes for what looks like each control on my form. My controls are defined in the form but their properties are set in the app. The exceptions are thrown after I set the control properties and while the form is being rendered by Xamarin.

I tried the 5.3.0-beta2 of Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform but that didn't help either.

I would like to get this resolved so please let me know what I can do to help determine the cause.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:14 AM
  • User130 posted

@PhilippSumi said: @DavidOrtinau Is a pre2 release planned for 2.3.4 soon? I'm seeing a lot of the NullReferenceExceptions in VisualElement Finalize(), and looking at the PR that mentions those wonder whether those are really fixed. This is also a show stopper on releasing anything right now.

Yes, we've been fixing regressions as they've been reported and we'll be sharing pre2 soon.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:27 PM
  • User130 posted

@MarkFredrickson said: I'm getting the following exceptions on every form in my Universal Windows App with this beta. No issues with Android or iOS, just UWP. This all started with release 2.3.3.x. I have no problems with 2.3.2.127.

Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEMessageException at memory location 0x0757CDC4. Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000.

The address of the first exception changes for what looks like each control on my form. My controls are defined in the form but their properties are set in the app. The exceptions are thrown after I set the control properties and while the form is being rendered by Xamarin.

I tried the 5.3.0-beta2 of Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform but that didn't help either.

I would like to get this resolved so please let me know what I can do to help determine the cause.

Thanks Mark, please file a report and share it here so I can track it. Be sure to use the Help > Xamarin > Zip logs to include that right ever you get the errors. That'll help greatly. Also include a sample project if possible, or at least some good code samples.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:30 PM
  • User103299 posted

@DavidOrtinau - Thanks David. I filed bug 51796 and included a test app to replicate the bug.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:02 PM
  • User251799 posted

I should showcase Xamarin at Microsoft conference next Monday, and the pre1 so unstable with the NRE crashes in VisualElement.Finalize() that this is about to turn into some sort of anti-PR for the tech. If I just build the XF library myself from the latest XF sources and link to those, is that feasible, or won't that work due to incompatibilities with the installed Xamarin version on my system?

Friday, January 27, 2017 10:39 AM
  • User113114 posted

@PhilippSumi said: I should showcase Xamarin at Microsoft conference next Monday, and the pre1 so unstable with the NRE crashes in VisualElement.Finalize() that this is about to turn into some sort of anti-PR for the tech. If I just build the XF library myself from the latest XF sources and link to those, is that feasible, or won't that work due to incompatibilities with the installed Xamarin version on my system?

Are yo ushowcasing any specific pre 1 functionality? Im interested in the NRE crash, i have never seen this in any of my apps.

are you on the latest beta of Xamarin for visual studio?

Friday, January 27, 2017 11:39 AM
  • User251799 posted

I think (desperately hope) it's this one here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/701 Since it's a finalizer issue, it happens rather randomly after popping views from the stack.

The pre1 fixed another bug that caused the app to be unusable, so I didn't really have a choice but to move on to that one.

As for versions: I just switched back from VS2017 to the latest stable on VS2015, and it was a frigging nightmare. Using the latest beta on VS2015 gave me compilation errors about Mono.Cecil. I think the downloader build target used by Xamarin's Google.iOS packages are not working reliably (yet). I first had to unpack the downloaded Google TARs manually, and then ran into the Cecil crash. And on VS2017, the build crashes with a NullRefrenceException: https://github.com/xamarin/GoogleApisForiOSComponents/issues/55

So right now, I can at least build. My idea was to just build XF manually, then replace the binaries in the local packages folder and rebuild. Not sure this means opening a can of worms though ;)

Friday, January 27, 2017 12:05 PM
  • User113114 posted

@PhilippSumi Sure you can just download it and build => replace dlls. And then go back to the public release when pre 2 is public.

Friday, January 27, 2017 3:41 PM
  • User139040 posted

@PhilippSumi you are just fine to do that. We did the exact same thing and you will have two directories under your nuget folder structure, one for runtime and one for building. Just replace those DLLs and don't update nuget's packages. That should get ya moving for the conference.

Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:25 AM
  • User2022 posted

I updated to 184-pre1 and where I before (with 2.3.3) had a crash on Android when pressing the back-button to close the app, I now have a crash when resuming the app. Crash: [MonoDroid] UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: [MonoDroid] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. [MonoDroid] at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.AppCompat.Platform.LayoutRootPage (Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity activity, Xamarin.Forms.Page page, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height) [0x0007a] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\AppCompat\Platform.cs:279 [MonoDroid] at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.AppCompat.Platform.Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.IPlatformLayout.OnLayout (System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x00003] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\AppCompat\Platform.cs:196 [MonoDroid] at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.PlatformRenderer.OnLayout (System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x0000e] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\PlatformRenderer.cs:73 [MonoDroid] at Android.Views.ViewGroup.n_OnLayout_ZIIII (System.IntPtr jnienv, System.IntPtr native__this, System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x00009] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3511/501e63ce/source/monodroid/src/Mono.Android/platforms/android-24/src/generated/Android.Views.ViewGroup.cs:3427 [MonoDroid] at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:e4c873e1-63ae-4d3d-9732-2aca37ced13e (intptr,intptr,bool,int,int,int,int)

More having this? And is there something I can check to help fixing this?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:26 PM
  • User251799 posted

@BradChase.2654 said: @PhilippSumi you are just fine to do that. We did the exact same thing and you will have two directories under your nuget folder structure, one for runtime and one for building. Just replace those DLLs and don't update nuget's packages. That should get ya moving for the conference.

Copying around individual DLLs was horrible, so I ended up hacking their nuget file to get a copy of the package I could use to just drag and drop the folders with binaries for each platform. That made the process somewhat doable :)

@Xamarin: It would be nice to facilitate this. Right now, I wouldn't know how to create a clean copy of the nuget packages in order to allow for a quick drop-in replacement of the sources. Speaking for myself: If that was easy to accomplish, I would be very inclined to go hack the platform and play with the latest offerings - which in turn might result in good feedback and PRs for you.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:32 PM
  • User66766 posted

I agree with @PhilippSumi. Being able to build a nupkg on a Mac would be nice esp for those who don't use UWP.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:01 PM
  • User92861 posted

@Theos Are you talking about this previous crash? I took a sample project that reproduces that crash on Forms 2.3.3.180 and updated it to 2.3.4-pre1, but I'm not seeing the new crash at resume that you mentioned. Can you please file a new report and attach a sample project? Thanks!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:10 PM
  • User139040 posted

@PhilippSumi they should be in your nuspec directory correct?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:50 PM
  • User2022 posted

@JimmyGarrido said: @Theos Are you talking about this previous crash? I took a sample project that reproduces that crash on Forms 2.3.3.180 and updated it to 2.3.4-pre1, but I'm not seeing the new crash at resume that you mentioned. Can you please file a new report and attach a sample project? Thanks!

I just found out that my MainPage was set in a BeginInvokeOnMainThread call, which resulted in a crash on resuming the app. Before this never resulted in a problem. However, I only did this for Android, so probably in the past I had an issue where this was required. Should I file a bug report for this?

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:32 AM
  • User251799 posted

Yup, they are. I just couldn't get to build them and had to remove the directives for the docs and tech other than Android and iOS. Also, some projects didn't build (not only UWP which I haven't installed). In the end, I just needed the PCL libs, Android and iOS which I got to build and export to a package.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:34 AM
  • User140202 posted

@Theos said: I just found out that my MainPage was set in a BeginInvokeOnMainThread call, which resulted in a crash on resuming the app. Before this never resulted in a problem. However, I only did this for Android, so probably in the past I had an issue where this was required. Should I file a bug report for this?

Definitely file a bug if you believe there's a clear and easily reproducible regression since we want to make those a top priority.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:28 PM
  • User139040 posted

@PaulDiPietro I wont bother filing a bug report on it because I read back on this thread and noticed a couple of other people @MarkFredrickson and @David.Rettenbacher have both filed the same bugs already.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51642

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51646

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51796

I have the exact same issues.

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:16 PM
  • User53886 posted

Has anyone had any luck using this with jamesmontemagno MediaPlugin?

Works fine on Android but on iOS the ActionSheet fails to open. No error message though.

I know this isn't particular of issue to Forms but what could have changed to cause this?

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:35 AM
  • User53886 posted

Issue actually seems to be with Displaying the Action Sheet before calling CrossMedia.Current.whatever on iOS only.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:42 PM
  • User244257 posted

UWP itemssource doesnt load when page is loaded for the first time. Picker is displaying items only when page is loaded second time.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:29 AM
  • User244257 posted

I don't understand what is the use of itemssource if it is essentially going to behave same as items which was already in place? I have simple code where I am awaiting a loadmethod to get List and then do a foreach add into it. But the picker doesn't show the items on first load, it only shows the items when I navigate somewhere else and navigate to the same page again!

Friday, March 10, 2017 10:06 AM