none
Getting at via points created by dragging a route RRS feed

• Question

• If you create and display a route using V8 API having specified the start and end points, and the user then modifies the route by dragging the route is there anyway to get the coordinates of the viapoints created by the user dragging the route?
    Monday, June 6, 2016 2:49 PM

Answers

• There is not option for getting this information.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, June 6, 2016 8:36 PM
  • That's correct. Currently the direction module does not provide any way to access the coordinates that make up the route path. This was a prioritization decision. We only had enough time to either have the directions module expose the route data or provide a rich UX. Since the raw route data can already be retrieved from the REST route service, we focused on creating the rich UX. We will expose the API functions needed for the data and add more customizations after we take V8 out of preview at the end of the month. It's also worth noting that in V7 very few people ever accessed the route path data directly through the directions module and instead used the REST service. As such we put more weight on backwards compatibility of the most common user scenarios so that the bulk of apps that use v7 can be migrated right away.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:40 PM

All replies

• There is not option for getting this information.

Monday, June 6, 2016 8:36 PM
  • Thanks 

So there is no way with v8 at the moment of being able to get the line coordinates of a route if it has been modified by a user?  Or have I missed a trick?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 4:49 AM
  • That's correct. Currently the direction module does not provide any way to access the coordinates that make up the route path. This was a prioritization decision. We only had enough time to either have the directions module expose the route data or provide a rich UX. Since the raw route data can already be retrieved from the REST route service, we focused on creating the rich UX. We will expose the API functions needed for the data and add more customizations after we take V8 out of preview at the end of the month. It's also worth noting that in V7 very few people ever accessed the route path data directly through the directions module and instead used the REST service. As such we put more weight on backwards compatibility of the most common user scenarios so that the bulk of apps that use v7 can be migrated right away.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:40 PM
  • OK thanks - I understand your reasoning.  Back to V7 for me  then I guess.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:38 AM
  • You could also use the Bing Maps REST routing service directly as well.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:39 PM