nvstor.sys gives an error at boot

General discussion

• When I went on to check Windows update in Windows 8 Preview, I checked the optional nvidia nforce sata driver among other drivers and updates.

One update did not installed successfully and I did not verify which one

The next time I went to Windows update, I checked again that nvidia sata driver. And it installed successfully.

Except at the next boot, I wasn't able to boot into Windows 8 Preview because of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvstor.sys that was an unsigned device driver.

How could Windows install succefully an unsigned driver and deny me the right to boot after ???

Automatic repair was not helpfull and given my currrent knowledge at the Windows command prompt (how to remove an updated driver with pkgmgr ?? without knowing it's name or package name ?),I had to reinstall.

Fine. We're used to it with Windows.

• Edited by zebul666 Friday, September 16, 2011 9:16 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• Zebul666, sounds like you have already worked around this error with a restore. In my experience with Windows Developer Preview, I have had no problems with most drivers but some just do not seem to want to work with Windows Developer Preview. My best advice is to try different drivers from the manufacturer to see if you can get one to work correctly. If you want help with package manager, you can follow this link.  Thank you for providing feedback!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749465(WS.10).aspx

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:51 PM
  • The default driver used by Windows seems to work fine, version 10.6.0.20 from 2011/26/04 .

Windows Update has an optional update from 2011/08/11

But the issue is not about the driver, it is about Windows installing a driver (signed or not, I don't know) and locking me out because it later find out (true or false I don't know either) that it is unsigned.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:09 PM