none
WinCE 6: Issues when device memory is full RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I filled up my device memory(NAND flash 1GB) with some random files completely. When I rebooted my device I noticed abnormal color changes on the home screen of my device and also a few other applications stopped working correctly. When there is sufficient memory the home screen and all applications works perfectly.

Request for some solutions.

Regards.

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohsin,

Win CE6 shares the same piece of memory as "Storage Memory" and "Program Memory". Normally wince behaves abnormally (as you are saying) in case it has got shortage of Program Memory. So it might be like you are occupying more than enough space for Storage Memory so that OS is not getting enough memory to function properly. And when you are availing sufficient memory to the OS (wince), it is working fine.

Hope this helps..

Don't forget to Mark as "Helpful" if it helps and "Answer" if this answers your question

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Hi MobileGeek88,

Thanks for the reply. As Iam a fresher and new to WinCE environment, it would be more helpful if I can get some link which provides more info so that it helps me in solving this issue.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:19 AM
  • "Memory" usually refers to RAM, while "storage" refers to disks, like flash disks - even though it isn't really a disk.

You should run a debug build of the OS and check the debug output for errors.  A retail build may show the errors, but it may not.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:34 AM
  • In continuation to above issues, the device has about 512MB of RAM and 1GB of secondary storage(NAND flash). When i fill the scondory storage completely why is it affecting the performance of the device though RAM has enough space availabe.

looking forward for some solutions...

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Whether you are booting from NAND? (Of course ideally program memory should not be affected by filling the Non-reserved part...)

Keshava G N ( keshavagn@iwavesystems.com ), Member - Technical, iWave Systems ( http://iwavesystems.com )

• Edited by Keshava GN Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Yes.. the device is booting from NAND.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:42 AM