none
Can't Install SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Management Studio

Question

• Hy, i'm having a problem with the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Management Studio.

I downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 Advanced Edition and installed.

While the installation is in progress, i have an error  "Could not register type library for file F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\Packages\Compsvcspkg.dll.  Contact your support personnel."

The installation finsh but i haven't the Managment Studio installed.

I have already removed the Patch Microsoft KB3072630, done a reboot an a new installation but I continue to have the error.

Can anyone help me? It's very urgent for my business.

Thank you.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:40 AM

All replies

• I'm unclear on exactly which version/edition of SQL you are attempting to install. The only one I'm aware of with the word 'advanced' in it is "Microsoft SQL Server2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services".

Is it one of these versions above? Which one, 64-bit or 32-bit? What version of Windows OS is the machine that you are installing on?

Did you use this download link to get your installation file?
    Download Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition

Have you done a search in your computers file system (probably C drive) for ssms.exe file? That file should probably be in a location like:

%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE

You should also be able to look in setup bootstrap log for more informative error message that would help you with troubleshooting the problem:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Did you have a previous version of SQL Server already installed on this machine prior to your failed installation attempt? If so, what version?

Are you wanting to install only Management Studio and NOT the database engine? Or do you want both?

Hope that helps, 

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:32 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:27 PM
  • There is a SQL Server forum for such installation failures,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-us/home?forum=sqlsetupandupgrade

Remove the Windows Update KB3072630 worked out perfectly.

• Proposed as answer by Mohsin_A_Khan Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mohsin_A_Khan Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:52 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:48 PM
  • You need use regsvr32to manually register the dll .after register check you are getting error.

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

• Edited by Av111 Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:50 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Yes, is this one, but ITA version 64 bit.

I havo no file "ssms.exe" in my computer. (the installation of SQL is in F: drive and not C:)

We had the same version installed before, but for configuration problem we had to re-install SQL completely.

I'd like to install both datatabsae engine and Management Studio. Now i have only the database engine installed.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:31 PM
  • As i wrote in my message, this don't work. I have no KB3072630 installed.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Some other suggestion ??
    Monday, January 30, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Have you checked the installation log for informative error messages that may guide you in troubleshooting failed installation?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Hope that helps,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:13 PM