Sys.Webforms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException actual cause (related RoleManager issue) RRS feed

• Question

• User264985426 posted

I finally figured out what is causing the Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException. Here are the details of my research:

It's probably a bug in the RoleManagerModule . The issue is that the RoleManagerModule, (which comes into picture when the role manager is enabled in the config) tries to add its cookie to Response's cookie collection. This is done in the EndRequest event of the Application. It should actually do it in the PreSendRequestHeaders event because the PreSendRequestHeaders is the last opportunity to modify the response headers. Under normal circumstances the  PreSendRequestHeaders  gets fired after the EndRequest event, but when Response.Flush is called the sequence may be reversed.

Now, the changes made in AJAX RTM which causes this issue are in PageRequestManager.RenderFormCallback function. When EventValidation is enabled in the page, the function calls Response.Flush (which causes the header to be sent). In this case the Application's EndRequest event is fired after the headers have been sent so an exception occurs in RoleManagerModule when it tries to send the response headers. This eventually leads to the page manager parser exception on the client side because the error response is appended to the actual response sent by the partial update.

There are three possible workarounds:

1. Disable caching of cookies in the RoleManager. For custom modules append cookies in the PreSendRequestHeaders event and not EndRequest event.

2. Handle the Application's Error event to clear the error from the Context selectively.

void Application_Error(object sender, EventArgs e) 
    {
      //There should be some checking done so that not all the errors 
      //are cleared
      Context.ClearError();
    }

3. Disable EventValidation in the web form.

<%@ Page Language="C#" EnableEventValidation="false" %>
      <%@ Page Language="C#" EnableEventValidation="false" %> 

The issue can be repro'ed easily by setting a cookie in the EndRequest event:

void Application_EndRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
      Response.Cookies.Add(new HttpCookie("Test", "Test"));
    }

And the following simple page will cause the issue:

<%@ Page Language="C#" EnableEventValidation="true" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <div>
            <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
            </asp:ScriptManager>
             </div>
            <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
                <ContentTemplate>
                    <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server"  Text="Button" />
                    <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
                </ContentTemplate>
            </asp:UpdatePanel>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:10 PM

All replies

• User-334125700 posted

Very nice work!

It seems like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place though.  We either have to give up cookie caching, event validation, or page error handling.  I'm curious about the part about the custom module though- I looked our our custom provider and didn't find either an endrequest or a presendrequestheaders event handler.  Are these events inherited from RoleManager?  If so how do we go about overriding them?

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:58 PM
  • User264985426 posted
    It's the RoleManagerModule which does that not the RoleProvider. RoleManagerModule is the one responsible for maintaining the cookies. The problem occurs only when the list of cached roles changes. Now I have not researched much into when it happens. My guess is that with the custom provider it might be happening more, but I cannot validate it at this point. But the bug is in the rolemanager and not in ASP.NET AJAX.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:06 PM
  • User287763314 posted
    hello guys.

Rama, great work!

btw. I think you've missed a 4th option: writing a new rolemanager that works without any problems :)
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:07 PM
  • User-384517966 posted
    Good work, thanks!
    Monday, February 5, 2007 10:47 AM
  • User-631798055 posted

I have run into this bug, as it appears many others have. I'm worried though, because it seems based on the other thread about this problem that everyone is able to get around the problem by using the first workaround (disabling cookie caching in the role manager), but in my application, that doesn't work. This troubles me. I am able to use the 3rd workaround (disable event validation on the page), so for the time being I'm OK, but I don't understand why the fix that works for everyone else doesn't work in my case.

My situation is outlined below ... any idea why the disabling cookie caching for roles workaround won't work in this case?

I am using roles, and the page that I am having problems with manipulates users and their roles, but I am NOT using a custom provider for roles. I am using the builtin ASP.NET Sql Role provider, and a connection to my SQL db to store roles data.

My web.config, as it pertains to roles looks like:

<roleManager enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="false" createPersistentCookie="false">
    	<providers>
    		<remove name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" />
    		<add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
    	</providers>
    </roleManager>

As for my page, it contains 3 update panels (all set to conditional updating). One panel contains un-editable user information. The 2nd lists all roles with checkboxes and a save button, allowing the admin to select which roles to put a user in. The 3rd is a list of linkbuttons to perform actions on a user (such as set IsApproved to true or false, or to unlock a locked out user). When I select some roles and click the save button in the 2nd UpdatePanel, or click one of the LinkButtons in the 3rd UpdatePanel, I get the PageRequestManagerServerErrorException error.

As I said, I'm able to use the 3rd workaround suggestion (disable event validation on the page) to get around it, but I'm curious why disabling of cookie caching in the role manager doesn't work for me, when it DOES seem to work for everyone else ...

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 11:07 AM
  • User64959231 posted

Same issue here. Using one update panel with a asp:Login control inside. Have some customizations on login but nothing strange.Tried disabling caching roles in cookies, tired EnableEventValidation="false". Using AspNetSqlRoleProvider

I am not sure the cause of the error is with rolemanger...

BTW: It worked with no problem on the previous release of AJAX. Absolutely no issues.

Also noticed another issue with the timer, but that should be another post.

Anyone have a solution?

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 2:26 AM
  • User264985426 posted
    Does the Login control work with the UpdatePanel? In my experience it does not. Can you post soe code here?
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 5:57 AM
  • User64959231 posted
    It did work before version 1.0... Same exact page after update does not work - tried all the workarounds
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 5:35 AM
  • User64959231 posted

I have another site that works fine with a login control + update panel + master page... Anybody? Any ideas? I tried all the workarounds...

Friday, February 16, 2007 5:59 AM
  • User-1639143169 posted

Page EventValidation=false fixed my loginview inside an update panel, so try that suggestion from this thread, it should work.

We had a number of different cases making this error, and EventValidation was the primary fix, nothing to do with rolemanager sutf.f

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:30 PM
  • User-1356717622 posted

Hi,

I'm getting the same error.  My page has 1 gridview, label and a bunch of images inside the update panel.  The label displays the current DateTime.  It is a dashboard application that automatically does a partial postback every 5 minutes.  What consistently happens is that everytime the panel updates after midnight, this error message appears.  Now I have tried all the suggestions in this post, but still I get this error.  Any other ideas?

Regards,

Sam

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:01 PM
  • User-485568503 posted

I have been getting this error, gridview inside an updatepanel, on a timer - consistently gets the error within a few minutes.  The 3 solutions above did not work - I appear to have worked around it by handling the error on the client side with this javascript:

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance().add_endRequest(EndRequestHandler);
    function EndRequestHandler(sender, args)
    {
      if (args.get_error() != undefined)
       {
           var errorMessage;
           if (args.get_response().get_statusCode() == '12029')
           {
            args.set_errorHandled(true);
           }
           else
           {
               // not my error so let the default behavior happen       }
       }
    }

The error is harmless to me so all want to do is not bother the user with an alert - this does it, till they fix the problem wherever it is.

Friday, March 2, 2007 3:18 PM
  • User1290884298 posted

You may want to try setting ValidateRequest="false" in the Page declaration. It worked for me.

-  Ryan

Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:44 AM
  • User253167664 posted

ok, try another simplest way:

METHODE 4

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" EnablePartialRendering="false"/>

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:20 AM
  • User253167664 posted

METHODE 4

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" EnablePartialRendering="false"/>

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:23 AM
  • User1618900539 posted
    But if you did that, you were reverting to a "standard" page, basically killing the Ajax partial updates functionality.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:11 PM
  • User-1818814851 posted

hi all,

i have one aspx/ajax application , and i posted this application on server, Its working fine in local, but on server i am getting few problems, please let me know the solution of this problem.

1. For example when i am in webform4.aspx, (it has 30 controls - so its long webpage), than when i have put the scroll down , it is moving up, Even number of times when i try to scroll down, automatically its moving up, i am unable to enter data because of this error.

page flickring.... 

2.  Second time i am getting error as follows when page as idle in 20 to 30 secns.,

'Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 12029'.

i am using ajax/aspx

anyone has the solution please reverback or mail me to vrsanaidu@gmail.com.., its very urgent to me.

thnx .

Naidu

Friday, June 8, 2007 7:06 AM
  • User-1067372738 posted

Check your firewall settings too!  Reference:

http://blogs.telerik.com/blogs/twisted_asp_net/archive/2007/06/26/2528.aspx

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 10:29 AM
  • User449807263 posted

I still cant get it working and it seems to be more prominent on pages where there is gridview involved and sometimes the error is unexplainable. It is just inconsistant and i dont think there is a solution to this problem.

I just wish there was someone out there who could actually fix this problem. Does it not maybe have something do this windows 2003.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 10:07 AM
  • User-1016791496 posted

I think this could be the same problem we had.

It only occurs with an IE6 and SSL connection and when the page was idle between 20 sec and one minute. What we did is to turn off the keep-alive of our SSL Connection.

This worked. 

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:21 AM
  • User285554717 posted

Disabling the role manager cookie worked for me. Thanks! 

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:15 AM
  • User449807263 posted

Hello Guys.

I have managed the fix the problem. It a SSL problem on the server. It does not effect localhost.

Follow the link to setup SSL Correctly. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/SSL_Enabling_OWA_2003.html

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:46 AM
  • User686179636 posted

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance().add_endRequest(EndRequestHandler);
    {
       {
           var errorMessage;
           {
           }
           else
           {
               // not my error so let the default behavior happen       }
       }
    }

I have tried the 3 solutions mentioned before and I'm still getting the error: Sys.Webforms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException.......12029

So I want to use the JavaScript you suggested before but I don't know where to put it (I get a null exception if I add such code to the header of the page)

did you add some code to the ScriptManager? something like:

<Scripts>
                <asp:ScriptReference NotifyScriptLoaded="true" Path="~/App_Themes/Default/JSLibrary.js" ScriptMode="Debug" />
     </Scripts>

I put the ScriptManager on the master page. 

Thanks! 

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:29 PM
  • User686179636 posted

The 3 solutions above did not work for me either.

Could you please tell me where you added your JavaScript function?, did you need to "call" it from the script manager?

Thanks ! 

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:58 PM
  • User686179636 posted
     OK I figured it out. On the Master Page:
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">                
            {                
               {
                   var errorMessage;
                   {                                  
                   }
                   else
                   {
                       // not my error so let the default behavior happen       
                    }
               }
            }      

</script>

Thanks anyways. 

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:44 PM
  • User1923880652 posted

Is this should be the standard way.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 4:55 AM
  • User-251602581 posted

Hi,

I am getting this exception if I am submitting the form with "<hyudsjsag>" in the text box.

To my surprised it's not hitting ScriptManager1_AsyncPostBackError(object sender, AsyncPostBackErrorEventArgs e)

method for customize.

But other exceptions are hitting it.

So anyone have any info how to handle this exception to show a user friendly exception?

Regards,

Rajib

Monday, November 19, 2007 4:26 AM
  • User-596161396 posted

Its Good but wont prefere rather i will go for custom handlers

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:45 AM
  • User-480136453 posted

Well, it works , but with no partial page update?? so can you provide help to save it parial page update?? I need urgently , thank you very much

METHODE 4

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:06 PM
  • User-2089506584 posted

METHODE 4

Thank You! Finally, I've been looking for this 3 weeks now and you save my life diadiora! [Yes]

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:32 AM
  • User1549353884 posted

hello,

I was facing the same issue, found the following that solves this problem

http://www.andornot.com/about/developerblog/2007/07/aspnet-ajax-and-syswebformspagerequestm.aspx

hope it helps

Sunday, April 20, 2008 3:59 AM
  • User1281381861 posted

Hi,Ramakrishna

Now the message is

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 0

ie 0 is coming

I have tried all of these

EnableSessionState="false" ValidateRequest="false" EnableEventValidation="false"

I have 3 update panels on the master  page which are controlled by 3 different  timers.

Ihave put there update mode conditional .

now in child pages  in page tag ihave written

EnableSessionState="false" ValidateRequest="false" EnableEventValidation="false"

but the problem is same

I have also write this from different post specified by u but the problem is same.

in Global.asax

this code

void Application_EndRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

Response.Cookies.Add(
    new HttpCookie("Test", "Test"));

}

void Application_Error(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

// Code that runs when an unhandled error occurs

Context.ClearError();

}

void Session_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

string sessionId = Session.SessionID;

}

How can iResolve that

Plz Help Me.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:10 AM
  • User2054115725 posted

Hi ,

Im getting the following error...But my error code is 12002.

Sys.Webforms.pagerequestManagerServerErrorException:An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server.The status code from the server was 12002.

How can i fix this problem... 

I need urgent help..

Even Though i set the AsyncPostBackTimeout to 36000sec & include the javascript posted by u also doesnot fix the problem.

What else may be fix my problem..

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:13 PM
  • User2054115725 posted

Hi raghav,

Im having the same exception that u had.

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 0

How did u rectify this??

Pls reply me asap.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:18 AM
  • User442229403 posted

Hello raghav and vijay!

I'm having exactly the same issue as you were having a few months ago...

Did you manage to solve this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:56 PM
  • User-319574463 posted

I'm having exactly the same issue as you were having a few months ago...

It would be better you posted a new question. You can refer to the URL of this thread. Please specify your OS, version of ASP.NET and exact error message.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:42 PM
  • User-1583051493 posted

this error not only occurs with this above issues recently i got this error when i miss to deploye my stored procedure on my live server and my webconfig custom error setting is on thats why i didnt get actuall error of stored procedure missing so kindly if u have error any thing like that first set custome error mode off in your webconfig and get actuall error

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:31 AM
  • User1075616431 posted

Hello all,

I'm sure someone will love me for this one...

I spent hours trying, until a Eureka moment...

I'm 100% sure the same thing has happened to other people:

I was using a Server.Transfer("...") to reach the page causing me this error. (on an imagebutton event handler)

Replacing that with a normal PostBackUrl to the page giving you headaches solved the problem..!

Can I blame Server.Transfer?!

Really hope this helps... 

Friday, February 6, 2009 5:37 AM
  • User1135719270 posted

Thanks Rama Krishna for sharing the valuable information. It solved my issue.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:58 PM
  • User262093683 posted

Hi..

We are developing ASP.NET/AJAX web application. It works fine in localhost. And we have deployed it in a server. In the server application, when we doing a particular operation, it gives a javascript error telling

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: The transport failed to connect to the server.
    URL: "http://morpheus/IPG.Sales/ScriptResource.axd?d=CjzVBgqGzsu_Oq_oU_OqJ2i-u0cIZYI7ihHsWbUw8muASkBzJjcMN7eeX8cQfZP8EiYvGUC_okvc6ZIbfkq8drD7C3X5WE6PtbiRTS_-iPk1&t=4173729b"
    Last Modified: 06/11/2009 09:17:19
    Line Number: 4723

But that same operation works fine in local host without giving this error. Actually, here i can't figure out the issue. If u have any idea on this Please reply me.

Thanks

Wijitha.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:44 AM
  • User1075616431 posted

Sounds more like one of these? 

http://forums.asp.net/t/993918.aspx

http://forums.asp.net/t/908509.aspx

Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:40 AM
  • User1622111507 posted

I was having problem in redirecting from gridview however using

SOLVED my problem.

Thanks diadioraLaughing

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:38 AM
  • User1409076745 posted

I added this event handler to my ScriptManager:

protected void ScriptManager1_AsyncPostBackError(object sender, AsyncPostBackErrorEventArgs e)

{

ScriptManager1.AsyncPostBackErrorMessage = e.Exception.Message;

}

This allowed the EXACT error message to be displayed back to my browser, and, I was able to correct the real issue rather quickly, which in my case was a missing database stored procedure.

Talk about a pain in the HOO Ha. This error wasted alot of my time, so I hope this solution will help make someones life a little easier...

Happy Programming!

Simon

Friday, November 20, 2009 11:06 AM
  • User1700644087 posted

Hi,
    The error occurs because the control that executed the Server.Transfer () method is declared within one or more UpdatePanel as AsyncPostBackTrigger. So, removing this condition the problem stops occurring.

Att,

Fábio

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:31 PM
  • User657779355 posted

diadiora thanks for your post, am using ajax timer in my webform,in which a button will be placed in that am just closing this popup and redirecting the home page...so that i got this error,i tried a lot of solutions including enableventvalidation=false ,still am not able to solve this problem,but with your post i got rid of that ,thank you very much....you are genious...

Friday, November 27, 2009 3:40 AM
  • User668242361 posted

Hi btolly

This code is working fine. Thanks a lot.

{
       {
           var errorMessage;
           {
           }
           else
           {
               // not my error so let the default behavior happen       
           }
       }
    }

Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:09 AM
  • User-1718217245 posted

This solution worked for me when the others did not.  Thanks!

METHODE 4

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:08 PM
  • User523800124 posted

Hi 

I did this one but still i am getting error like 

Message: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 404

"Message: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 404"

Can you please help me 

Thanks in advance 

Ravi

Friday, September 17, 2010 4:50 AM
  • User-1556920591 posted

Thanks it worked for me.. :) 

Friday, December 24, 2010 12:37 AM
  • User1569633914 posted

Hi Ram,

I get this error only in production website and only for some users tryiing to login. I think the request never goes through. Meaning the login event is not fired.  We have an updateProgressbar and update panel. The rolemanager is enabled and the caching of cookies is set to false.  The issue is why would it work on rest environments, and works good for some users in production. I could not find much.

Any suggestion will be helpful.

<asp:UpdateProgress ID="updProgress"
            AssociatedUpdatePanelID="upPnl"
            runat="server" DisplayAfter="100">
                <ProgressTemplate>            
                    <div style=" color:Red;background-repeat: no-repeat;; width:900px;height:550px;padding-top:120px;filter:alpha(opacity=60);opacity:0.60;visibility: visible;">Processing...
                    </div>
                </ProgressTemplate>
            </asp:UpdateProgress>
        <asp:UpdatePanel ID="upPnl" runat="server" UpdateMode="Always" ChildrenAsTriggers="True" RenderMode="Inline">
        <ContentTemplate>
            <asp:Label ID="lbtitle" runat="server" Font-Bold="true" ForeColor="Red" Font-Size="Medium" Font-Names="Arial"></asp:Label>
                <asp:Login ID="Login1" runat="server" BackColor="#F7F6F3" BorderColor="#E6E2D8"             
        BorderPadding="4" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px" Font-Names="Verdana"             
        Font-Size="Small" ForeColor="#333333" Height="130px"    Width="303px" OnAuthenticate="Login1_Authenticate" DisplayRememberMe="False">          
        <TextBoxStyle Font-Size="Small" />          
        <LoginButtonStyle BackColor="#FFFBFF" BorderColor="#CCCCCC" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px"
        Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="Small" ForeColor="#284775" />          
        <InstructionTextStyle Font-Italic="True" ForeColor="Black" />          
        <TitleTextStyle BackColor="#5D7B9D" Font-Bold="True" Font-Size="Small" ForeColor="White" />        
        </asp:Login>
        </ContentTemplate>
        </asp:UpdatePanel>
    </asp:Content>

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:23 PM
  • User-1707194722 posted

Hi everyone,

I want to install ii7 or above on my windows 7 64 bit home premium. But when i try to install iis 7, it asks for iis management console. When i try to install by going in control panel , then windows feature turn off or on. i found small tiny box, but it is empty, Any other option to install iis 7 and iis management console on windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:26 PM
  • User-1686303005 posted

Thank you, it works 4 me.

Friday, January 23, 2015 11:24 AM
  • User-2122782982 posted

This is not the real problem, if you want to see why this is happening then please go to erro log file of IIS.

in case of visual studio kinldy navigate to C:\Users\User\Documents\IISExpress\TraceLogFiles[your project name].

arrange file here in datewise desecending and then open very first file.

it will look like enter image description here

now scrolle down to bottom to see the GENERAL_RESPONSE_ENTITY_BUFFER it is the actual problem. now solve it the above problem will solve automatically.enter image description here

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:39 AM