Issue with COPY Data Preview while doing data conversion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 13 million records in Azure SQL database table which I am transferring to Azure SQL Data warehouse. It goes fine around 7 million and after  that it throws the error below.

Database operation failed. Error message from database execution : The given value of type String from the data source cannot be converted to type nvarchar of the specified target column.. String or binary data would be truncated..

Also I am not opting for Polybase option in that and going with that tabular mode as there are issues with Polybase issues in handling nvarchar.

Some Points:

1) I am converting Azure SQL nvarchar(max) --> Azure DataWarehouse nvarchar(4000).

2) I have small nvarchar fields in Azure  SQL not even exceeding 1000.

So I think it is something happening String to nvarchar conversion where C# code of Copy Data is doing Malfunction. Also Logging of Copy Data is not good at all as it never which fields ran in to issue while copying data.

Please provide your guidance.

Thanks

Varun

Varun Yadav

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:28 PM

All replies

• Try putting your nvarchar(max) columns at the end of your table.  We have identified some scenarios where this is needed and we are working to fix. Let me know if that fixes your issue.
    Friday, July 1, 2016 3:45 AM