Problem with fakes after KB2742613 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have run into a problem with fakes which started after the update KB2742613. If I remove the update, everything works normal again.

The problem is that if you add a fakes for System.ServiceModel, the test runner will crash with a cryptic error message. This is very easy to reproduce. I'm using .NET framework 4.5 and VS2012.

Is this a known issue and when can it be solved?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:12 AM

Answers

• Thanks, Kalle. I recreated the problem and submitted a new bug to our backlog.
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, January 21, 2013 1:08 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:35 PM

All replies

• Could you provide more details? Are you using Stubs or Shims? A small sample test that demonstrates the problem would be most helpful.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hello!

After some further investigation, the problem appears to be with both KB2742613 and KB2750147. If I have either of those two installed, the problem appears.

Stubs or shims doesn't matter, it's the addition of the fake assembly to the test project which makes all tests unable to run. For example, this test:

[TestMethod]
    public void FooTest()
    {
    Assert.AreEqual(1,1);
    }

will produce the error, if there is a fake of System.ServiceModel in the test project.

Best regards,
    Kalle

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Thanks, Kalle. I recreated the problem and submitted a new bug to our backlog.
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, January 21, 2013 1:08 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Not sure if this is the right forum, but a bing search brought me here. It seems like these updates (KB2742613, KB2729460, KB2737083) disable my external mouse settings (Microsoft Explorer mini mouse). My network admin set up my machine to install updates automatically and every morning I have to uninstall these 'untested, poorly written' KB updates to have the mouse working again. Go figure....frustrating!

If its a database and seems like performing well, then it IS SQL Server

Monday, February 11, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Oleg, 

Any update on progress? Having test runner crash has created an impediment to VS2012 adoption. 

Thanks. 

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:37 PM
  • We got it to work by changing this to x64. It sure would be nice to have Visual Studio indicate this is the issue instead of crashing. 

• Proposed as answer by Chris McLeod Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:10 PM
  • In Visual Studio Update 2 we "blacklisted" parts of System.ServiceModel used by VSTest to prevent their instrumentation for Fakes. Are you still seeing the problem after installing Update 2?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:53 PM
  • I'm a little embarrassed to admit I hadn't installed Update 2 yet. I'm done with that and VS no longer crashes when running our fakes tests under X86 Default Processor Architecture which is an improvement, but the test still doesn't execute. The build output says this

========== Discover test finished: 888 found (0:00:02.653) ==========
    ------ Run test started ------
    Executor process exited.
    ========== Run test finished: 0 run (0:00:03.638) ==========

I'm instructing my team to use X64 and moving on. Thanks. 

Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:52 PM