none
decimal symbol RRS feed

• Question

• I have a set of WebServices written with C# and .net, running in a Hyper-V-virtual server with Windows Server 2008 64x.
    I have just upgraded that server to Windows server 2008 R2 64x.
    All seams to work fine up to the moment where a very strange numerical problem happens.
    We needed hours to identify the problem: the decimal symbol inside .net is now , instead of .  !!!
    If I go to the personalisation of the numerical format, I find . (not ,)

I have a similar server with the same WebServices installed on an other Hyper-V-virtual server with Windows Server 2008 R2 64x.
    The only difference is that on one server there is windows server 2008 R2 installed over Windows Server 2008
    on the other server windows server 2008 R2 is installed from scratch.
    the same webservice with the same numerical value 7.60 works on the second, not on the first one.
    conclusion: the decimal symbol has been corrupted while upgrading windows server 2008 to R2

Question: Where can I reset the decimal symbol for .net to be .  ?

best regards
    Georges de Montmollin
    Switzerland
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Georges de Montmollin,

I have a set of WebServices written with C# and .net, running in a Hyper-V-virtual server with Windows Server 2008 64x.
    All seams to work fine up to the moment where a very strange numerical problem happens.
    We needed hours to identify the problem: the decimal symbol inside .net is now , instead of .  !!!

Based on your description, it seems that decimal symbol was changed from "." to "," on one specific machine that was upgraded from Windows Server 2008.

I have a similar server with the same WebServices installed on an other Hyper-V-virtual server with Windows Server 2008 R2 64x.
    The only difference is that on one server there is windows server 2008 R2 installed over Windows Server 2008
    the same webservice with the same numerical value 7.60 works on the second, not on the first one.
    conclusion: the decimal symbol has been corrupted while upgrading windows server 2008 to R2

Firstly, these web services can be run properly on a new installation of Windows Server 2008 R2. I would suspect that your issue could be related to the environment on the specific machine.

Secondly, I have one question. What is the Current format of this specific machine and the new installed machine?
    Please go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options. In Regional and Language Options dialog, please check Formats tab >> Current format.
    According to different format style, Decimal symbol would be different from each other.
    For example, in English it is a dot while in other formats which use the Latin.
    You might check the following similar issue.
    Please see: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/23b6251f-cf91-457f-9750-053b7818bf4d
    To change Decimal symbol, please go to Formats tab >> click "Customize this format..." >> choose Numbers tab >> find "Decimal symbol". Please check whether this option is set to ",". If yes, please change it back to "." to have a try.

If the problem still exists, to isolate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework installation, could you please help me to try .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 with SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 with SP1 on this specific machine? Please check the verification result from "Current Status".
    For Windows Server 2008 R2, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component.
    For .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1, it includes .NET 2.0 with SP2 and .NET 3.0 with SP2 as prerequisite.
    This means, you have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes on Windows Server 2008 R2. They are OS components.
    If .NET 2.0 SP2, .NET 3.0 SP2 or .NET 3.5 SP1 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair them on Windows Server 2008 R2.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply to Windows Server 2008 R2)

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, January 18, 2010 3:46 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:55 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I downloaded your netfx_setupverifier.exe and run it on the three servers and on c) after having changed the country.
    a) has no error. b) and c) have no error for dotNet Vers 2.0 but do have errors for 3.0 and 3.5
    you can download http://www.powernet.ch/ftp/verify.zip and get the four sets of files produced by netfx_setupverifier

I have run the command "sfc /scannow".
    It produced no error on the server c)

Thank you for your help to try Verification tool. For this verification tool, it might be not updated for Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 which ships .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 as OS components.
    Based on your description, running the command "sfc /scannow" produced no error. I think that .NET Framework 3.5 could be installed properly on the machine.

For your concern on your third machine (c machine), could you please try to change the system locale to "English-US" to have a check?
    Please go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options. In Regional and Language Options dialog, please check Administrative tab >> Change system locale. Then change "Current system locale" to "English - United States".

If the problem still exists, we need to change our point of view for further troubleshooting. Since this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation, for C# programming, I would suggest you to try Visual C# General forum to narrow down the possible cause related to the C# project. After we can isolate this possible cause, if you have any further concern, I'm willing to help you on that.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, January 18, 2010 3:45 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:16 AM

All replies

I have a set of WebServices written with C# and .net, running in a Hyper-V-virtual server with Windows Server 2008 64x.

Based on your description, it seems that decimal symbol was changed from "." to "," on one specific machine that was upgraded from Windows Server 2008.

Firstly, these web services can be run properly on a new installation of Windows Server 2008 R2. I would suspect that your issue could be related to the environment on the specific machine.

Secondly, I have one question. What is the Current format of this specific machine and the new installed machine?
    Please go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options. In Regional and Language Options dialog, please check Formats tab >> Current format.
    According to different format style, Decimal symbol would be different from each other.
    For example, in English it is a dot while in other formats which use the Latin.
    You might check the following similar issue.
    Please see: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/23b6251f-cf91-457f-9750-053b7818bf4d
    To change Decimal symbol, please go to Formats tab >> click "Customize this format..." >> choose Numbers tab >> find "Decimal symbol". Please check whether this option is set to ",". If yes, please change it back to "." to have a try.

If the problem still exists, to isolate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework installation, could you please help me to try .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 with SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 with SP1 on this specific machine? Please check the verification result from "Current Status".
    For Windows Server 2008 R2, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component.
    For .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1, it includes .NET 2.0 with SP2 and .NET 3.0 with SP2 as prerequisite.
    This means, you have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes on Windows Server 2008 R2. They are OS components.
    If .NET 2.0 SP2, .NET 3.0 SP2 or .NET 3.5 SP1 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair them on Windows Server 2008 R2.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply to Windows Server 2008 R2)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, January 18, 2010 3:46 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:55 AM
  • Hi Yichun Chen,

Thank you for your good answer.
    You have right: I have three virtual C-Drives for three virtual servers:
    a) Windows Server 2008
    b) Windows Server 2008 R2
    c) Windows Server 2008 R2 (upgrade from a)
    the drive d: containing the webservices and parameters is the same.
    If I run these servers each after the other with Hyper-V I get the right result for a) and b). the server c) wants , instead of .
    If I go the control panel and to the definition of the decimal symbol: all three servers have a point.
    On server c) I tryed to change the language from French-Switzerland to English-US without success.

I downloaded your netfx_setupverifier.exe and run it on the three servers and on c) after having changed the country.
    a) has no error. b) and c) have no error for dotNet Vers 2.0 but do have errors for 3.0 and 3.5
    you can download http://www.powernet.ch/ftp/verify.zip and get the four sets of files produced by netfx_setupverifier

The problem persists: my webservice on server c) only accepts coma (,) as decimal symbol !

Do you have ideas how to fix it ?

best regards
    Georges de Montmollin
    Switzerland

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:07 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for your help to try Verification tool. For this verification tool, it might be not updated for Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 which ships .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 as OS components.
    Based on your description, running the command "sfc /scannow" produced no error. I think that .NET Framework 3.5 could be installed properly on the machine.

For your concern on your third machine (c machine), could you please try to change the system locale to "English-US" to have a check?
    Please go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options. In Regional and Language Options dialog, please check Administrative tab >> Change system locale. Then change "Current system locale" to "English - United States".

If the problem still exists, we need to change our point of view for further troubleshooting. Since this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation, for C# programming, I would suggest you to try Visual C# General forum to narrow down the possible cause related to the C# project. After we can isolate this possible cause, if you have any further concern, I'm willing to help you on that.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, January 18, 2010 3:45 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:16 AM