Opening Excel Workbook in Excel 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed a report in Excel Services via the EWA webpart.  When selecting the Open command from the webpart on a machine with Excel 2007 installed, it opens the file as expected.  Since a large portion of the user community is still using Excel 2003, I was hoping that the file could be opened by them as well.  It will not open for them.  I was hoping that the Office 2007 compatibility packs would then allow for this functionality but it does not appear that this works either.  So in summary is there any way for an Excel 2003 user to Open the spreadsheet from the EWA webpart?  Thank You.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can right-click the file in the document library, Copy Shortcut and select "Open Workbook". Of course, that does not give you the current behavior of opening the current session. That too is possible, but requires some coding.

What you need to do is create a web-part that will take the session ID that the EWA is using, shunt it over to the server, do an API GetWorkbook call on the server, stream the result back to the client.

<ShamefulBump>

Parts of what I described here (specifically, streaming the result of a GetWorkbook back to Excel and getting the session ID from EWA) can be found on chapter 17 in Professional Excel Services. Though if you have more targetted questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here.

</ShamefulBump>

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:12 AM
  • Shahar Prish-

Thank you for your response.  I will look into your suggestions with our developers and see if we can get it figured out.

Regards

Todd

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:15 PM
  •  

I have the same problem.

We have reports in Excel Services via the EWA but our users have excel 2003 with the compatibility pack.

In EWA, how can we use the "open snapshot function" with excel 2003 client?

Can you help me?

Thanks.

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:55 PM
  •  

Doing an open snapshot in 2003 would require some coding. Basically, you will need to get the Session ID from the EWA and use the Excel Web Services APIs to get a snapshot and open it in Excel 2003.

I may be able to create an example with that at some point in the future.

Search for EwaGetSessionId for information on how to get the session ID from EWA.

Search for GetWorkbook for information on how to get the bytes of a workbook that will be openable with Excel.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:54 AM