Is there an ability to adjust the IOPS level/range that a storage disk can provide? RRS feed

• Question

• O/S - CentOS 6.5
    VM type: Extra-small, 768MB RAM

I have an extra 20GB storage disk that was provisioned for a VM to function as a DBDATA disk. Spot testing I can tell this additional storage disk performs much better than the boot disk/drive (~2000 IOPS versus 120 IOPS) where my O/S is installed.

I searched around the portal and dashboard site, but I could not find a dial or slider switch where I could set set/tweak the IOPS settings for the attached storage drive.

Questions

1) Does anyone know if a configurable IOPS setting is available in the portal/dashboard area somewhere?

2) As mentioned, this "additional" storage drive can perform much better than the boot disk (~2000 IOPS compared to ~120 IOPS), is there a reference for what the maximum IOPS are that these storage drives can deliver?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

>>1) Does anyone know if a configurable IOPS setting is available in the portal/dashboard area somewhere?

>>2) As mentioned, this "additional" storage drive can perform much better than the boot disk (~2000 IOPS compared to ~120 IOPS), is there a reference for what the maximum IOPS are that these storage drives can deliver?

You could set IOPS on your VM. About this issue, I recommend you watch this video form channel 9 (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2013/MDC-B345#fbid=). You could see the [ 44:40 ] Storage Quality of Service ( QoS ) .

• Enables consistent SLA delivery
    • Dynamically configurable while VM is running
    • Set Maximum IOPS Threshold for Overactive / Disruptive VMs
    • Set Minimum IOPS Alert Threshold
    • Learn more in Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Storage Performance ( MDC-B345 )

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:08 AM