TF400898 Error in TFS 2013 after data restore from backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was testing the integrity of my production TFS 2013 server data backup by restoring it to the non production test environment. I performed following tasks.

1. Deleted existing DB from test environment

2. Ran TFS restore wizard and selected network location of my backup to restore the data. 

3. I restored all Databases except Tfs_Configuration because my test server name is different and replacing the configuration database would have brought my production server details to test environment.

4. After databases were restored I got a warning saying that encryption key for reporting service was not restored. When I tried restoring it using .snk file with rskeymgmt utility it did not accept my password however I verified that the password I was entering was correct. Later I used SQL Reporting Service Management Console GUI and I supplied same .snk file and password in GUI and I was able to restore it properly. I also verified the Reports URL and was able to access and change my data sources.

5. I verified everything else and it seems to be working fine.

6. Lastly when I access web console of TFS using http://<servername>:8080/tfs I can see the admin console but while accessing projects using web browser I am getting error TF400898 An Internal Error Occured. I am getting this for all projects. I am able to access them using team explorer.

Based on few MSDN forums I also ran below commands to fix the issue but it didn't help

tfssecurity /a+ Server FrameworkGlobalSecurity GenericRead "[Projects]\Project Collection Valid Users" ALLOW /collection:http://<servername>:8080/tfs/Projects

TFSSecurity /imx /collection:http://<servername>:8080/tfs/Projects n:ASIA1\pac

On my Production environment all the projects are accessible using web browser but failing on non production after

data restore.

Please help me to resolve this issue as I will be restoring my production data to non production environment on regular basis. 

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Premal,

Based on the description, you can have a try to restore Tfs_Configuration in the test environment. To do this, you can follow the instructions in the "Install the application-tier server" section of this page. Then update the url if necessary.

If you have installed TFS in test environment before restoring the databases, you can detach the collections in production environment and backup the databases again. Then attach the collection to test environment, restore the databases to check if team web access is normal. If the issue still exist, please check whether the below links are helpful:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/03/19/how-to-fix-tf400898-an-internal-error-occurred-on-your-kanban-board-in-tfs-2012-update-2.aspx

http://il-adan.blogspot.com/2013/04/backlog-board-tf400898-internal-error.html

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 20, 2014 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

I tried the first way that is "Install the application-tier server". Here after I restored the configuration database I did not find the option under the administration console for TFS to choose Configure Installed Features to launch the configuration center. So I ran the setup of TFS again and found Advance option to configure only Application tier but all the options were disabled.

I could only see proxy, SharePoint and build server setup wizard.

I will try out other solutions you have provided in the links and let you know my findings.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

I tried other two solutions as per URLs but it didn't resolve the issue.

I am still not able to access project on my browser. Can anyone please let me know what could have gone wrong and how to resolve this issue?

Just to give you a recap I restored my Production TFS backup on non production environment to implement new changes but after restore I am able to access everything except TFS projects on my browser.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Hi Premal,

I'm not sure what you mean "did not find the option under the administration console for TFS to choose Configure Installed Features". It would be better if you can share a screenshot here. You can also run TFS best prractice analyzer to check if there any issues about your environment.

As I mentioned above, if you have installed TFS in test environment before restoring the databases, you can detach the collections in production environment and backup the databases again. I'd like to know how did you do and the error message if it has. You can check event log to see if there any useful information.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

I had installed TFS before restoring the database. I would try to detach the collection and take the backup again and try restore but I am planning to restore the nightly full backup on my non production environment as a part of disaster recovery planning so detaching collection and taking backup will not be suitable at the time of failure. Can you please let me know the points I should follow while restoring the backup to non production environment so that everything works as fine as it is in production?

My other question is if I detach the collection on production environment then are there any consequences? will my developer team be able to work during the time collection is detached? For attaching it again i would use TFS admin console but is there anything else I need to take care after attaching collection to avoid inconsistencies?

I will highly appreciate if you can answer these queries.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:55 AM