How do i config my setup project to install drivers? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have written a windows application in Visual Studio 2005 and i want to deploy it on distributable media

(compact discs) together with the .Net framework and also a necessary RS232 driver.

I have added a setup project to my application to create a setup wizard.

The dependancy to .Net is automatically detected and i have managed to have the

.Net Framework installed by the setup project if necessary.

Now i also want the RS232 driver to be installed by the setup project.

I have the driver availible in two ways:

- As an executable .exe file.

- As a folder containing containing necessary files (.dll and .sys)

How do i add the driver to my setup project for the two formats of my driver as described above,

and what is the preferable way?

I have tried to add the .exe file under "Custom Actions" => "Install".

But then the execution of the .exe file finish with the message:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup

did not finish as expected. Contact your support personel or package vendor"

BR Paul

Monday, October 1, 2007 6:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• In general a custom action should work fine, except that in your case the exe seems to have crashed, and the difficulty is that there isn't really any debugging available in the MSI install. Is it your code?

Perhaps DifX would work for you:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790308.aspx 

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 9:27 PM
  •  

No, the i got the exe from the RS232 chip vendor.

However the exe does install the driver correctly when i execute it separately.

It is only when i have it executed from "custom actions" it completes with an error message.

Friday, October 12, 2007 6:52 AM
  • What error do you get? If it's an MSI based install then it will fail because you can't run another MSI based install from a Visual Sudio custom action.

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:53 PM
  • JUst deploy the .dll and .sys with your applicaiton.  No need to install into %WINDOWS% folder.  When you call the Method from the .dll, .NET Framework will search the current application directory first.  This way, you don't have .dll hell.

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:13 PM