none
could we please have the option to get depht values beyond 4m RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that currently the SDK limits the depht value could we please get a way to access values beyond this distance since it will limit all services build using the SDK?  like the MSRS kinect service. 

The 4m limit on the Kinect is imposed by the Kinect SDK. You will not get any data beyond that regardless of what values you play with in our services."

Kind regards 

Bill

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:37 AM

Answers

• I can't promise anything about specific features to be included in future versions of SDK, but we are definitely working on improvements for the future. Thanks for your feedback.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:07 AM

All replies

• I can't promise anything about specific features to be included in future versions of SDK, but we are definitely working on improvements for the future. Thanks for your feedback.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Sometimes I have a hard time understanding Microsoft's reasoning for limiting their own SDK compared to others. This is the sole reason I cannot use the Kinect SDK and have to choose OpenNI or other open source variants. It's a shame because I would like to use the SDK from Microsoft since I'm a C# programmer and the SDK is nicely integrated.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the Kinect is specced to read between 0.8m and 3.5m, although it can detect within 0.5m and out to 6.0 or 7.0m with correspondingly poor accuracy.  The choice of 4.0m is actually higher than the hardware was designed to handle.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Hi Tom

I assume you are right and I know I'm not using the Kinect in a role it was designed for but 6.0 to 7.0m

depth data with poor accuracy would really make me very happy. wow 6.0 to 7.0m are you sure?

that's much more than i hoped for. 

Bill

Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:08 PM
  • My numbers were a little off.  Here's what Wikipedia (24-Sep-2011 1:30 PM EST) has to say, for what it's worth:

"The Kinect sensor has a practical ranging limit of 1.2–3.5 m (3.9–11 ft) distance when used with the Xbox software. The area required to play Kinect is roughly 6m², although the sensor can maintain tracking through an extended range of approximately 0.7–6 m (2.3–20 ft)."

So, you're right, that limit probably should be raised a bit.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:32 PM