Collision detection RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a collision detection routine on the drawing board for Small Basic?  Has anyone written any thing that will work for collision detection?  I would like to have shapes detect each other.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:20 PM

Answers

• That's good data.  I've played around with Box2D (http://box2d.org/) for integrating into Small Basic.  The trouble is that there's a fair amount of setup that needs to be done before getting objects to start detecting collisions.  I've still not successfully created a very simple abstration - but I'll keep trying.
    • Marked as answer by Vijaye Raji Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:14 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:00 PM

All replies

• A more general "2D Physics" idea has been on the board for Small Basic (which includes collision detection too).  Just prototypes, but nothing concrete.  I'd like to know how much of that the community would like before investing more time into it.

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Yes, This would be a nice addition.  Even though this is an "introduction" to programming it would help some students get a better grasp of 2d object interaction.  The Physics models would be a nice touch, but not completely necessary since anyone using this probably wouldn't really fully use the models anyway.  I could be wrong, but these are just my thoughts.

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Since I am teaching with SB it is alway nice to have features to interest students with.  With collision detection they could build some simple games.  All the kids love to play with Scratch because of the game making possibilities.  I do not want to teach with Scratch because the interface is so different from the main stream languages the kids are going to encounter at college or real world. 

It would be nice to have a simple, traditional looking language like SB that has some of the possibilities of Scratch.  Yet I do not want a C#/XNA level of complication.  Alfred Thompson had a pong game in XNA on his blog a few days ago.  Yeeks!  Try and explain that puppy to a high school sophmore who is just learning to program!
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:49 PM
  • That's good data.  I've played around with Box2D (http://box2d.org/) for integrating into Small Basic.  The trouble is that there's a fair amount of setup that needs to be done before getting objects to start detecting collisions.  I've still not successfully created a very simple abstration - but I'll keep trying.
    • Marked as answer by Vijaye Raji Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:14 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:00 PM
  • It sounds like you are implying you have a life outside of this project.  All I can say to that is that I am glad I do not know enough of how this whole thing works to be of help.  "Those that can't do, teach".  Thank goodness for teaching!
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:45 PM
  • :) It's not that different. Really!
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:20 PM