none
Excel/Access VBA (simple socket communication) migrated from 2007 to 2013 keeps crashing (Automation error) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have one little VBA app running inside excel or access, the main purpose is to simulate a simple server response which allows client to connect/send message/get simply reply. Were all working fine under excel/access 2007.

However once I move to 2013, both apps crashed themselves with automation error 80010108. The socket activex I used is one I downloaded the VB source code from internet and complied within VB6.

Now I have both 32bit 2007 & 2013 installed on the same machine, win7 64bit. Xlsm or access files run ok in 2007 for more than 1 year but not 2013.

Any idea for this situation? I do use the "form" in VBA to host the activex.

I would like to upload the file if possible, but don't know how to.

Thanks in advance!

Wilson

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

I have one little VBA app running inside excel or access, the main purpose is to simulate a simple server response which allows client to connect/send message/get simply reply. Were all working fine under excel/access 2007.

However once I move to 2013, both apps crashed themselves with automation error 80010108. The socket activex I used is one I downloaded the VB source code from internet and complied within VB6.

Now I have both 32bit 2007 & 2013 installed on the same machine, win7 64bit. Xlsm or access files run ok in 2007 for more than 1 year but not 2013.

Any idea for this situation? I do use the "form" in VBA to host the activex.

I would like to upload the file if possible, but don't know how to.

Thanks in advance!

Wilson

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Hi cbw_2000,

>> However once I move to 2013, both apps crashed themselves with automation error 80010108. The socket activex I used is one I downloaded the VB source code from internet and complied within VB6.

First of all, I suggest remove all of the vba code and macro except of your socket communication. If it still keeps crashing, I will suggest you remove your socket activex from your app to check whether the error was caused by the socket activex or the excel 2013? If your excel keeps crashing without your socket activex, I will recommend you repair your Office 2013. If your excel worked correctly without socket activex, I suggest you make a test with your socket activex in other project like vb.net project to check whether your socket activex could work correctly.

For uploading the file, you could upload through OneDrive and post the link here.

In addition, if this is an urgent issue, due to the limitation of the community support channel, I will suggest you contacting the Microsoft professional support so that our engineers can work closely with you to troubleshoot this issue.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Thanks Edward,

The excel 2013 seems ok to me if I didn't connect to any server and commented out the server listening function. Also the Activex is ok for long time within 2007.

Recently our office upgraded from 2007 to 2013, and my colleague told me this problem on his PC. Then I found same thing happened on my laptop with 2013, but same machine with 2007 still ok.

Please find the link for the excel file & activex file.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D93ADF703806E1E!1527&authkey=!AL8lH8IAq5UNwzM&ithint=folder%2cocx

I can post the original code for the activex if needed.

Thanks & regards,

Weibin

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:53 AM