none
How to install the assembly office Version 15.0.0.0 in the Global Assebly Cache (GAC) to install or run an aplication RRS feed

• Question

• I have an aplication developed in .net (dont know the version) but when I have tried to install it in my pc, Ive received the next message window "System Update Required" with the next message "Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly office Version 15.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first. Please contact your system administrator.", I just installed the VS 2013 where in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\PIA\Office15" exist the version 15. After that, the application still doesn't work. By the way I only have the instalator of the application.

For your answer and help.

thanks.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:09 AM

Answers

• Cindy! 

Was solved, installing the Office 2013, now exist all the assemblies version 15 in "C:\windir\assemblies" directory, with Office 2010 doesnt work at all. 

The solution, Install the Visual Studio 2013 to obtain the Office15 .dll's and Install the Office 2013 to obtain the assemblies.

Thanks again.

XD

Victor

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think it's the fast and best way that you ask a developer of your application about its requirements.

Regards,
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:09 AM
  • HI VEdelmann

You must install the Office application on any machine where this code should run. The PIA, alone, is not enough. All the PIA does is "translate" between the .NET and COM worlds. The Office application cannot be distributed with the VS application (no matter which version). Office is an end-user licensed software and must be installed individually.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:18 PM
  • Hi Cindy, thanks for your answer.

I tried to install the Office aplication and exactly when I run the .application file is were the System Update Message comes up. 

I have been thinking to install the MS Office 2013.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:25 PM
  • I don't understand what you mean with:

"I tried to install the Office aplication and exactly when I run the .application file is were the System Update Message comes up. "

As I said before, you won't be able to install an Office component using "an application developed in .net". It must be the software sold and distributed by Microsoft. So, yes, you'd need to install Office 2013 (or perhaps an earlier version, depends on the references set in the .net application).

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Ok thanks,

Well the fact is, I did the first try using the Office 2010, now Im moving on to Office 2013, maybe this helps, but the fact is, maybe this update the GAC to the version 15. For example you can see into "C:\Windir\assembly" there you will find all assemblies and versions, my higher version is 14 and I need it in 15, so as said before, I will install the MS Office 2013 and will see if this ends on a good way.

Thanks again.

Victor

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:29 PM
  • Cindy! 

Was solved, installing the Office 2013, now exist all the assemblies version 15 in "C:\windir\assemblies" directory, with Office 2010 doesnt work at all. 

The solution, Install the Visual Studio 2013 to obtain the Office15 .dll's and Install the Office 2013 to obtain the assemblies.

Thanks again.

XD

Victor

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:15 PM
  • Hi VEdelmann

Thanks for confirming you tracked down the issue.

Just as information:

1) Typically, a VSTO project that's distributed to end-users picks up the assemblies from the GAC and does not require the Office dlls that are distributed with Visual Studio. If, on the other hand, you would intend to open the project and develop it further, AND the project was developed using the Office dlls distributed with VS, THEN you'd either need to install these OR change the references to the the assemblies in the GAC.

2) This indicates that the code was compiled against the newest (2013) version of Office and that the options which would have made the code version-independent were not activated.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hi VEdelmann

Thanks for confirming you tracked down the issue.

Just as information:

1) Typically, a VSTO project that's distributed to end-users picks up the assemblies from the GAC and does not require the Office dlls that are distributed with Visual Studio. If, on the other hand, you would intend to open the project and develop it further, AND the project was developed using the Office dlls distributed with VS, THEN you'd either need to install these OR change the references to the the assemblies in the GAC.

2) This indicates that the code was compiled against the newest (2013) version of Office and that the options which would have made the code version-independent were not activated.

Hello Cindy,

I have the same problem with an application that I compiled using Visual Studio 2013.  Referring to item 2) in your suggestion, where do I setup the compile options to make the code version-independent?  Thanks again.

Tony

Tony F

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:51 PM