none
How to tell what version of KB2468871 that is installed? RRS feed

• Question

• We are experiencing the described in  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/windowsaccessibilityandautomation/thread/6c4465e2-207c-4277-a67f-e0f55eff0110 in out production environment. That thread indicates that version 2 of the update KB2468871 should fix the problem and we wanted to verify f that was the case in our reference environment. 

At first we verified that we did experience the problem in the reference environment. Then we checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile\KB2461678 and noticed that the update were installed, but the PackageVersion registry value were set 1, and thus we concluded that version 2 was not installed. We then tried to see if e could approve it in WSUS but were unable to see if the package in WSUS were version 1 or 2. Thus we used a manually downloaded version 2 package and installed on the reference client. After the installation the problem seemed gone, but when we checked the registry it still indicated that PackageVersion was 1. Is there any way to tell that the correct version of the package is installed?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Viktor,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The v2 package of this Knowledge Base article creates the same detection keys as the v1 package. This is a known issue for this update. If your application has a dependency on the v2 version of this update, you can check the following registry subkeys, based on the .NET Framework 4 Profile that is installed on your computer. You can then determine whether the v2 version of the KB2468871 update is installed on your computer.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate, and then click one of the following registry sub keys, as appropriate for your operating system and architecture:
      • For all supported x86-based versions of Windows, examine one of the following sub keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile\KB2468871\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended\KB2468871\

• For all supported x64-based versions of Windows, examine one of the following subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile\KB2468871\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended\KB2468871\

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, January 13, 2012 5:36 AM
  • I still don't understand how to examine the contents of those registry nodes. I've been checking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile\KB2468871\ since it is a x64 Windows 7 client, but I don't know what to look for under the key to be sure that version 2 of the package is installed.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Hello Viktor,

I did a test on my side, and I find that I install the v2 version of the KB2468871 update, you will find the register in the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile\KB2468871v2\, just see:

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Vicky -

As far as I can tell, this is incorrect. Per the KB Readme, the "v2" updater writes the same key as v1, and so the "v2" key won't be written.

- Jeff

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:13 PM